Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

how to find instances of missing of objects?

alemanda
Advocate
Hi,
How can I find the instances of missing objects?
I mean, in the library manager Archicad tells me that there are, for example, 2 instances of the missing object called, for example, myobject.gsm

How can I find it in the project?
I did the research with find&select searching by name but I didn't find ...
also in the schedules I cannot find the missing object ...
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
You can use Find & Select but there should be no need as the missing object should appear as a large dot the same colour as you pen number 1.

However to see the dot (or use F & S) you need to turn all layers on.
Then look at each of the storeys in turn.
If not there then look at each sect, elevation, detail, worksheet.
And if it is still not there then have a look on each layout page in case an object has been placed directly on a layout.

A schedule could be created to find a missing object but that only works if it is in a plan view - no good for sections, elevations, etc., because schedules don't look there.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
alemanda
Advocate
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

I did all you mentioned.

The problem is that I started editing a stair and it was part of multiple instanced stair, so I click on "edit only this" but I didn't complete the procedure by clicking cancel instead of OK ... So I think archicad created the new stair with the name I gave it and placed in the database of the project but actually archicad didn't save the part in the library ... even if archicad tells me that the missing part is in the embedded library ...

I cannot find this stair in my project ...
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
I've had the same issue with stair objects that alemanda has, and have attempted both F&S and IS methods to locate them. They are not placed and therefore simply don't exist!!

Is there a way to purge the database of these un-placed (?) objects?

It does highlight a short-coming of Interactive Schedules - ALL elements in ALL windows should be accessible. If I place a GDL object in a detail window or in a section window, if the object subsequently goes missing and/or is no-longer required and needs to be deleted, it should be easier to find than having to trawl through every. single. window...
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
Marcus Trimble
Contributor
Hello - did you find a solution to this?
We are having the same issue, with a phantom stair, that is 'missing' but not placed anywhere.
ArchiCAD 19 (6006)
OS X 10.11.4
jakubc7
Advocate
If you can't find our missing object using Barry's method, it could be due to Renovation Filters. Model parts can be made to appear in particular Renovation Filter ONLY. Therefore even having Show All Elements filter may not show it.

My method with this and finding other hard to spot errors is to isolate parts of the project and see when issue goes away.

In your case, I would make a COPY file and start deleting views, storeys, worksheets, details, reno filters etc until the missing library part no longer exists. Last view you delete before it goes away is likely to contain the missing object.

Not a perfect method but definitely worthwhile if the issue is bothering you or if it's the template file that has the missing part.
ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
Stress Co_
Advisor
My 10 year younger self once made a WISH:

Find & Select on Steroids?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)