BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to make this custom empty door opening?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone as i followed Graphisoft tutorial i knew how to make custom opening for doors and windows by making slab underneath of the shape we created and set ID :wallhole under tag and categories
but here i tried to make empty opening that i made its shape in slab and followed the same step but when clicking on empty opening in the setting it converted to be rectangle instead of the custom empty any idea how to deal with custom empty opening
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
Your custom wallhole is either a door or a window with the name that you used when you saved it - NOT an empty opening. Yeah, I know ... it really IS an empty opening, but AC's "empty opening" is a parametric rectangle as you have seen.

When you save your slab with ID "wallhole" as a window or door, be sure that you save it with the option for editable script. Do NOT save as 'binary' - as wallhold is not recognized except in text scripts.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah it should be saved editable Gdl script but it is showing solid in the design i want it to be empty opening like take the same solid shape
Karl Ottenstein
An alternative for a custom wall hole without saving a slab as a GDL library part is given by Dwight Atkinson in this tip:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/CreateCustomWindows

There, he uses a custom profiled beam and solid element subtract to cut the hole. An advantage of this method is that it is super easy to modify the hole shape by just editing the beam profile. Perhaps a useful method when a design is in flux.

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
ahmed_hassan wrote:
yeah it should be saved editable Gdl script but it is showing solid in the design i want it to be empty opening like take the same solid shape
If it is saved as an editable script, then either (a) "wallhole" is not typed correctly - just the letters, no punctuation, or (b) you have more than one slab and one is set to 'wallhole' and the other is not...

Cheers,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes you right Karl For the problem before, i discovered that i left it saved as non GDL script as this was default but i changed it later ,
about the problem of solid door opening and empty one
i just discovered that i can create only one thick slab and called it wallhole in the ID than save it as door it give me result of empty door opening plus well representation of 2d on the plan here is the image
Learn and get certified!