BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to model this irregular ellipsoid in Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
My goal is to create a 3dmodel (for CNC) an ellipsoid from the given plan and two sections. Who can tell me if this can be done in Archicad? And if so, how?

The shape is built out of irregular curves - so neither the plan nor section consist of a perfect ellipse (as drawn with circle/ellipse tool), but actually quarter splines that were mirrored.

The operation I am looking for is the equivalent of Rhino command 'sweep two rails' (extruding along multiple paths) or any other way to generate the model.

All input welcome, thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Use the Morph tool to create a Revolved solid. Draw the Profile of the body based on the Section Views in your PDF. The Revolution axis of the solid should be vertical (parallel with Z axis - perpendicular to the Plan View of the Object). You can create the Revolution Morph in a Section so the Revolution Axis will be in a vertical plane at creation.
Then use the Box Stretch command of the Morph Pet Palette to reduce its size in one direction (along the Y axis). With the Box Stretch command it is possible to stretch the dimensions of the Morph element only in one direction so the ratio of its sides can be distorted.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not believe that ArchiCAD is the right tool for this, better using Rhino, Solidworks or other dedicated modellers that can communicate with the CNC software / drivers.
As Laszlo wrote you can achieve an approximation of your shape in ArchiCAD but it won't be accurate without a lot of editing.
It's like using a screwdriver to hammer in a nail, you can do it but it's going to take a lot of work and the result will probably not be ideal.
Learn and get certified!