BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

image based Trace Reference slow in AC24

JohnJay
Expert
is anyone else having this problem?

updated my drivers to latest but still the same. TR works fine with regular geometry but if I import an image file, or worse still a PDF things get very sticky and laggy.

changing from PNG to JPG helps but still not great. image is only approx 2400 x 1500 px

W10
i7
GTX 1070
48GB RAM
AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
6 REPLIES 6
JohnJay
Expert
correction - JPEG is just as bad.

also, it's pretty much a new scene so still very light geometry wise...
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi John,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am very sorry about the experience!

Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce it on a weaker machine than yours, using a much bigger picture. To help with the investigation, could you share with us the file you're working on in PLA format? Please let me know if you need a secure link to upload it!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

JohnJay
Expert
thanks for looking into this Minh.

i have created a new scene to test (don't think it's scene specific):

1. import image file reference and use as Trace Reference - performance (i.e. panning and zooming in.out with scroll wheel) is marginally reduced but still very usable.

2. insert Stairs object - with the Stairs object selected panning and zooming in/out with the scroll wheel becomes 'sticky' and delayed.

3. enter Edit mode on Stair object and effect of the above is even more evident. editing for example the shape of the stairs is much a more fluid experience with TR off but is laggy with TR on.

can you try the above please?

ETA: in trying the above, the Stairs object, or an element of it, must be selected for the delay to be evident.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi John,

Where did you place the image?
What I did was: place a PNG in story 1, use story 1 as trace reference on story 0. Zooming in and out was not an issue. Even with stair editing, everything is smooth and responsive.

Here is quick video I made:
https://i.imgur.com/PcqYTsT.mp4

Is it similar to your test?

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

JohnJay
Expert
hmmmm, no it's not at all smooth in my tests.

here's what i get. this mainly shows panning as it shows clearly in the video that i'm trying to pan but sometimes nothing happens. less clear to see is when i scroll or the first edit on the stairs "misses" (i have to click twice as the first click is too slow to register).

https://imgur.com/a/rpeRHpM
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi John,

Unfortunately, the given video was not the best example of the slowness when using Trace and Reference, as the frame rate is not very high (I guess you are using a hi-res display?). Anyhow, I am still interested in the file (and the picture) that you use for this test. Could you share it with me for a quick check? Again, please let me know if you will need a secure place to drop them in.

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!