BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

installing GDL objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've looked through the forums here and can't find the answer to how to install downloaded GDL objects. i read that i should open the library manager and then select the object on the left and drag it to the folder on the right. there is no left and right! all i see is the embedded library and the linked library. if i click add i can drag the objects i've downloaded to the manager, but it ends up creating another library folder. is there no way to import the objects into the ac linked library? if i keep adding objects this way,i'll spend way to long trying to find the things i want, i could end up with dozens of linked libraries. also in the help guide when i look up goodies it says "To access them, go to ArchiCAD’s Help menu and choose the Goodies command, from which you can access a web page containing information on available add-ons and how to install them." there is no goodies command that i can see. help
wb
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Objects GDL (.gsm).... Put all of downloaded .gsm files (+Macros if any) in a new folder, then open Library Manager, pick Add and select that folder, then OK. Now the folder with objects will be loaded and you can use them.

2. Goodies....Menu Help > ArchiCAD Downloads > Now you are on the Graphisoft home page for GOODIES. Download them, close AC, then run them (they will install in ArchiCAD 14\Add-Ons folder). Restart AC.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Andro,
so does this mean that every time i add a new object it will be in a separate folder or can i move them from one folder to the next in the manager?
wb
Anonymous
Not applicable
"so does this mean that every time i add a new object it will be in a separate folder..." - If you load a single object, it goes into the EMBEDED LIBRARY; If you load a folder with many objects in, it goes into the LINKED LIBRARIES.

"or can i move them from one folder to the next in the manager?" - NO, you can only embed placed objects from selected folders into the EMBEDED LIBRARY.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not clear on how to install new GDL objects either. I've put one in a folder on my Mac, gone into Library Manager and used "Add", and picked the folder. It shows up as a linked library in LM.

But when I try using the Object tool and go to the Object Settings the new linked library is not there. What's up with that?

Thank you for any tips!
Barry Kelly
Is the object version 13 or older?
It won't be usable in Archicad 13 if the object was created in 14 or 15.
Even though you have the folder loaded correctly it will not appear in the object settings dialogue.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry--Thank you. It was created in AC14. Lesson learned!

I added a couple objects from 13 or earlier to the same folder, went to Library Manager, reloaded that linked Library, went to the Object tool settings, and VOILA!--there they are.
Learn and get certified!