Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

invisable columns

Jefferson
Participant
Here's a good one---

I have covered porch with 10x10 columns, outline pens for plan, section and 3d set to the same heavy black.

They all appear in plan and 3d, NO apperant outline pen in 3d, I can live with that, I don't like it but I can live with it. However when just the columns are selected and displayed in the 3d window the proper outline pen is displayed, as it should be.

The greater and more troubling thing is the columns in my elevations/sections, where there is anything behind them, are not outlined at all!

I have vectoral shadows set on, and the cast shadows are there!

I have also checked and even reset {modified} my layer combos to insure that the columns are"on".

A short reminder that I am working in ver 7. Any ideas, I have presentations to make early this week and I can work around this if I have to, but I'd like to know WHY this is hapening.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
15 REPLIES 15
Jefferson
Participant
Ferenc & Djordje,

Thanks for the ideas, ...............

I did a select all with column tool on and the count came up correct. No duplicates. The column wrap was set not to wrap amd then I tried set to wrap. I tried these things before I called for help.....................same results.

But I think Djordje, you're probably on to something with the "break" routine in the short walls. However given that seems more complex than using the slab tool I am inclined to take the path of least resistance.

Also the 3d report is set for detialed, but not really certian how that would factor in since the count came up correct. Wold this report only initiate after an error ( my only real experience with the reports) or should I try and access it another way?
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

You might also try setting the bottom of the columns just above the low walls so they aren't partially "buried".
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Jefferson
Participant
Hi Richard,

Yes I think that would work as well. I am one of those "model it all" guys so I want to show those columns as the structural members that they are............................when I finally get 8.1 I presume the solid opps would eliminate this post.

..............looks like thay shood have inkludud spell check for membors like mee.........................
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

LiHigh
Newcomer
Have u tried using polygon wall to model the column?
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think your problem is with the way walls and columns intersect.

There is a fundamental problem withe the column tool. (I assume this is still true. I first noticed it in AC5.0 when the columns were first introduced and have mostly avoided it ever since.) When walls and columns intersect it is the COLUMN and not the wall that is cut to fit. Also, the column is cut out for its entire height so that, for example, a partition wall running through the middle of a tall structural column will cut a slot all the way to the top of the column. The only way I have found to get around this is to make sure the walls and columns don't overlap. Not always a good solution. Another approach is to use library parts for the columns and SEOs for the 3D intersection.

Hopefully in the future all element intersections will be handled with SEOs internally and these sort of glitches will go away.
Jefferson
Participant
Hi Matthew,

Well it's god to know that it is sometimes the program and not pilot error. Can you say workaround?
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory