Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 // AC23 // Rhino6 connection issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Forum,

I'm new to Archicad but planned to dive into the program with some basic grasshopper play-arounds, starting with the official Archicad tutorial about algorithmic design and the grasshopper-connection.

But for some reasons Archicad can't set up the connection to Grasshopper

I already reinstalled the Connection addon (build-3007) but nothing changed. The installation itself goes through without any problems...

For me it seams like that some port listening or double port occupation without recognizing of archicad could be the problem but dont know if there is an option to manually change the listening port in Archicad?
Or some other more easy issues on my side?

Thanks for help in advance and greets!

31 REPLIES 31
justdhruv
Contributor
No. Not on this machine.
I had rhino 5 installed on my previous machine... and I don’t think I installed the connection.
Thanks.
ArchiCAD 20. MacBook Pro 17", 2010
+ core i7 4970k Hackintosh
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Same issue here. I run a MacBook Pro Late 2013 with Catalina 10.15.4 and a AC 23.4006 GER EDU and Rhino 6 and the connection seems to establish but nothing is shown in AC when I run GH. I have zero experience with Live Connection, could be I did something wrong, doubt it though. The wall got built after I ran the Python script by the way.
Same situation on my Windows 10 Pro 1909 running in Boot Camp, also AC 23.4006 GER EDU and Rhino 6. Wall gets built via Python, but the Live Connection doesn't work. I don't see anything at least.

I would've tried AC 22 but couldn't find it on the website. Weren't older versions online in the past? Also haven't tried Rhino 5. But it would be great if there's a solution to the current issue.

Cheers.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Bo_ wrote:
Hi,

Same issue here. I run a MacBook Pro Late 2013 with Catalina 10.15.4 and a AC 23.4006 GER EDU and Rhino 6 and the connection seems to establish but nothing is shown in AC when I run GH. I have zero experience with Live Connection, could be I did something wrong, doubt it though. The wall got built after I ran the Python script by the way.
Same situation on my Windows 10 Pro 1909 running in Boot Camp, also AC 23.4006 GER EDU and Rhino 6. Wall gets built via Python, but the Live Connection doesn't work. I don't see anything at least.

I would've tried AC 22 but couldn't find it on the website. Weren't older versions online in the past? Also haven't tried Rhino 5. But it would be great if there's a solution to the current issue.

Cheers.
Hi,

We are still investigating this issue at the moment. Hopefully I will have an answer today!

Currently, Rhino 5 should still work with ARCHICAD 23 and 22. The installers for AC22 are still available on the server, unfortunately, it is "hidden". We are working on a new website to also include the old download links. In the meantime, here are the links for GER version:

https://dl.graphisoft.com/AC/22/GER/AC/ARCHICAD-22-GER-3009-1.6.exe
https://dl.graphisoft.com/AC/22/GER/AC/ARCHICAD-22-GER-3009-1.6.dmg

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: The fact that on Windows 10 (using Boot Camp) the connection does not work is pretty strange to me. So far, the reports we receive only include macOS. I'm not sure if Boot Camp plays any part here...

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
mnguyen wrote:
https://dl.graphisoft.com/AC/22/GER/AC/ARCHICAD-22-GER-3009-1.6.exe
https://dl.graphisoft.com/AC/22/GER/AC/ARCHICAD-22-GER-3009-1.6.dmg

Thanks for the links.
mnguyen wrote:
I'm not sure if Boot Camp plays any part here...

You're right, it actually does work on Windows via Boot Camp, I must've forgotten something last time. Classic code 18.
justdhruv
Contributor
Any update on the above issue?
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

I am very sorry for not being able to deliver a solution yet!

Currently, I am still investigating this issue with the developers. Unfortunately, this is not an easy one, and it may take a little longer to figure out what is going wrong. As soon as we reach a conclusion, I will let you know!

Thank you for your patience, and I am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Sorry for keeping you waiting! Finally, in the end, we manage to replicate it on a macOS computer running Catalina. The bad news is, the real culprit blocking the connection is unclear. This issue is totally machine-specific, therefore we will need more time to dig deeper and find out what is causing it.

We have entered it as a bug, hopefully, the fix for the addon will come soon! For now, I can only recommend using Rhino 5 at the moment, until the update arrives.

Once again, I truly apologize for the bad experience! Thank you very much for your understanding!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

justdhruv
Contributor
I acknowledge you, for your efforts.
What kind of hardware is the issue With?
Regards, and thank you for all your help
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
justdhruv wrote:
I acknowledge you, for your efforts.
What kind of hardware is the issue With?
Regards, and thank you for all your help
Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have a definitive answer on which hardware the developers are using. But 2 of my colleagues using Macbook Pro 15" Fourth Gen (Touch Bar version) do not have this issue. At the moment I cannot guarantee any working hardware combination, as we still in the early stage of debugging! Sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Edoardo B_
Participant
mnguyen wrote:
Hi,

First of all, thank you for reporting the issue here and I am sorry about the experience!

We have a couple of reports recently about the connection issue with Rhino via Grasshopper add-on. To pinpoint the problem exactly, I kindly ask you to carry out the test below:

We will use a Python script to attempt to build a wall in ARCHICAD using the same port that the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection add-on uses. This will help us to see if the problem is on ARCHICAD's or with Rhino's side.

1. Please download the latest Python version (3.8.1) from this website: https://www.python.org/downloads/

2. Run and install Python fully (with admin rights, it is very important)

3. Open ARCHICAD and start/activate the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection add-on. (Rhino does not need to be running, as we are only testing things from ARCHICAD’s side now).

4. Download the attached file "Teszt.py" (Please make sure to have it located in the Downloads folder. This is very important)

5. Open the Terminal App and type the following:

sudo python3 /Users/<username folder>/Downloads/Teszt.py

(<username folder> would be the user’s own username account. For example, my username folder is MNguyen so I would have it like this:
Sudo python3 /Users/Mnguyen/Downloads/Teszt.py)

6. Once you typed this line correctly, hit enter, and if you set a password for your account, Terminal will ask you to enter the password, after that hit enter again. Please take a screenshot of the Terminal App at this stage.

By now, please check if a wall was built in ARCHICAD, and let me know of the results.

Thank you for your help! I look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: Here is the link to the script:
https://graphisoft.sharefile.com/d-sb5de28c4d874b14a
Hi! I tried your test and it worked (the wall was built).
The live connection is still not working thought...
I am working on a MacBook Pro late 2016 running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.
I am using ARCHICAD 23 with an Educational license updated to the last built and just download and installed Archicad-Grassohopper-Connection 23-INT-4006-1.0
Also, yes, I have installed Rhino 5 too, but I installed it only after I found out I couldn't use Rhino 6.

Any idea?
Please, find a solution soon! Thank you!

EDIT:

I just installed Archicad 23 (latest), Rhino 6 (latest) and the connector (latest) on my wife's MacBook Pro witch is exactly the same as mine and it does work... I am baffled... Why on earth is this not working on my machine??
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) / CPU: 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core / RAM: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 / GPU: Radeon Pro 460 4 GB / macOS Big Sur (v. 11.6)