Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 // AC23 // Rhino6 connection issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Forum,

I'm new to Archicad but planned to dive into the program with some basic grasshopper play-arounds, starting with the official Archicad tutorial about algorithmic design and the grasshopper-connection.

But for some reasons Archicad can't set up the connection to Grasshopper

I already reinstalled the Connection addon (build-3007) but nothing changed. The installation itself goes through without any problems...

For me it seams like that some port listening or double port occupation without recognizing of archicad could be the problem but dont know if there is an option to manually change the listening port in Archicad?
Or some other more easy issues on my side?

Thanks for help in advance and greets!

31 REPLIES 31
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Edoardo wrote:

Hi! I tried your test and it worked (the wall was built).
The live connection is still not working thought...
I am working on a MacBook Pro late 2016 running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.
I am using ARCHICAD 23 with an Educational license updated to the last built and just download and installed Archicad-Grassohopper-Connection 23-INT-4006-1.0
Also, yes, I have installed Rhino 5 too, but I installed it only after I found out I couldn't use Rhino 6.

Any idea?
Please, find a solution soon! Thank you!

EDIT:

I just installed Archicad 23 (latest), Rhino 6 (latest) and the connector (latest) on my wife's MacBook Pro witch is exactly the same as mine and it does work... I am baffled... Why on earth is this not working on my machine??
Edoardo wrote:
Hi! Thank you for answering.
No, I'm not using Catalina. I still have Mojave v. 10.14.6.
I'm using the plug-in with Rhino 5, but it crashes all the times making it basically useless.
I've also installed the newest version of Grasshopper-ARCHICAD-Connection 23-INT-4006-1.0 hoping it would fix the issue, but it doesn't.
Please help! Thank you!

Hi Edoardo,

Thank you for your question and I am sorry about the issue!

Let me cross-posted your post from the other thread and answer them here:

First, which issue are you having exactly? Does Grasshopper or ARCHICAD crash when establishing the connection, or they cannot even establish the connection at all?

Furthermore, we need to make sure that only one GH-AC Live Connection add-on is installed in order to establish the connection properly.

The quickest way to check this is to create a new user account on your Macbook Pro. Log in to this account, and start ARCHICAD 23 and Rhino 6 at least once to make sure they work properly. After that, please install the GHAC Live Connection add-on and see if this works!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Edoardo B_
Participant
mnguyen wrote:
Edoardo wrote:

Hi! I tried your test and it worked (the wall was built).
The live connection is still not working thought...
I am working on a MacBook Pro late 2016 running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.
I am using ARCHICAD 23 with an Educational license updated to the last built and just download and installed Archicad-Grassohopper-Connection 23-INT-4006-1.0
Also, yes, I have installed Rhino 5 too, but I installed it only after I found out I couldn't use Rhino 6.

Any idea?
Please, find a solution soon! Thank you!

EDIT:

I just installed Archicad 23 (latest), Rhino 6 (latest) and the connector (latest) on my wife's MacBook Pro witch is exactly the same as mine and it does work... I am baffled... Why on earth is this not working on my machine??
Edoardo wrote:
Hi! Thank you for answering.
No, I'm not using Catalina. I still have Mojave v. 10.14.6.
I'm using the plug-in with Rhino 5, but it crashes all the times making it basically useless.
I've also installed the newest version of Grasshopper-ARCHICAD-Connection 23-INT-4006-1.0 hoping it would fix the issue, but it doesn't.
Please help! Thank you!

Hi Edoardo,

Thank you for your question and I am sorry about the issue!

Let me cross-posted your post from the other thread and answer them here:

First, which issue are you having exactly? Does Grasshopper or ARCHICAD crash when establishing the connection, or they cannot even establish the connection at all?

Furthermore, we need to make sure that only one GH-AC Live Connection add-on is installed in order to establish the connection properly.

The quickest way to check this is to create a new user account on your Macbook Pro. Log in to this account, and start ARCHICAD 23 and Rhino 6 at least once to make sure they work properly. After that, please install the GHAC Live Connection add-on and see if this works!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,
Minh
Hi! Thank you for the quick reply.
So, first of all: I have installed Rhino 5 and Rhino 6 both (v.5 has been installed only because I couldn't connect with Rhino 6 so the problem was there before I installed it). The add-on is workin fine with Rhino 5 now, but since Grasshopper was still kind of a beta for that versione, Rhino crashes all the times. When I try the connection with Rhino 6 the message on the Archicad palette is "Grasshopper is not running".

With a Mac, each user on the same machine share the same applications, so I don't think your suggestion will solve the problem.

I installed Arhicad 23, Rhino 5 and the latest version of the add-on on my wife machine which is the same as mine and all works just fine.

Later today I am going to try and install a virtual machine on my computer, running the same OS I am running now to see I the connection works on a mint machine.
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) / CPU: 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core / RAM: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 / GPU: Radeon Pro 460 4 GB / macOS Big Sur (v. 11.6)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thank you for the clarification! I only use Grasshopper since Rhino 6, so I don’t know how unstable Rhino 5 was.

With different accounts in one macOS machine, although they share the same softwares, the add-on is installed for each user account only, meaning for a new account, you’ll have to install the add-on again, as it is placed inside Users folder, not Applications folder.

Anyway, let me know how it works for you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Edoardo B_
Participant
mnguyen wrote:
Thank you for the clarification! I only use Grasshopper since Rhino 6, so I don’t know how unstable Rhino 5 was.

With different accounts in one macOS machine, although they share the same softwares, the add-on is installed for each user account only, meaning for a new account, you’ll have to install the add-on again, as it is placed inside Users folder, not Applications folder.

Anyway, let me know how it works for you!

Best regards,
Minh
Update:
I've tried your method: created a new user, then installed the Archicad-Grasshopper-conncetion tool.
But I was still getting the same issue.
So in installed a mint virtual machine using VMWare running Mojave 10.14.6. I only installed Archicad 23, the latest version of Rhinoceros and the connection tool and now it works.
Of course I don't have a machine powerful enough to fluidly work with both rhino and archicad running on a virtual machine. But at least we know something new...
Can be some other Add-on I might have installed? Here's a list of what I've got:
- Cinema 4D add-on for Archicad 23;
- Archicad 23 goodies suite;
- Library part maker.
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) / CPU: 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core / RAM: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 / GPU: Radeon Pro 460 4 GB / macOS Big Sur (v. 11.6)
Edoardo B_
Participant
Update:
Things got weirder! The connector works for Rhino version 6.18.19266 (2019-09-23), but not for the latest version. Notice I installed the latest one, which is I believe version 6.25.20114 (2020-04-20) on my wife's computer and on the virtual machine and everything works just fine.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you very much for your thorough testing!

This is definitely weird! I will report this to our developers to see if there is anything that we can find out about this!

Thank you once again for your help! As soon as I have an answer I will let you know!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Edoardo B_
Participant
Yeah...
Last update:
I uninstalled Archicad and every single add-on, I deleted all the application supports in both hd and user libraries, I deleted everything named Graphisoft on my computer I could find.
The I reinstalled Archicad and just the connector add-on.
Nothing changed: it works with the 6.18 but not with the 6.25.
So it's not about the other add-ons.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Edoardo,

After some discussion with the developer, I was informed that the communication between ARCHICAD and Grasshopper was established on localhost which sometimes cannot be resolved or it takes about 60-70 seconds. The solution was to change the localhost to a fix IP (127.0.0.1). This fix will arrive with the second update of ARCHICAD 23 (50xx), which will arrive very soon! Until then, I can only suggest using Rhino 5 at the moment.

Once again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused by the defect! Let me know if there is anything I can help in this case!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Edoardo B_
Participant
mnguyen wrote:
Hi Edoardo,

After some discussion with the developer, I was informed that the communication between ARCHICAD and Grasshopper was established on localhost which sometimes cannot be resolved or it takes about 60-70 seconds. The solution was to change the localhost to a fix IP (127.0.0.1). This fix will arrive with the second update of ARCHICAD 23 (50xx), which will arrive very soon! Until then, I can only suggest using Rhino 5 at the moment.

Once again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused by the defect! Let me know if there is anything I can help in this case!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh
I'm happy you found the bug. Hope my tests helped even if just slightly.
Looking forward to try ARCHICAD next build.
Cheers.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you very much for your extensive tests! I really hope that the next update will finally help us to fix this issue!

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh.

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT