Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

make building skin like the bird nest stadium in archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi everybody...my name is dave

i want to make building skin like the one michel rojkind did for the earth mark tower or like the "bird nest" stadium beijing...
do anybody knows how to do that on archicad 10?

thx
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dave,

I expect they would have used a modelling program like cinema3d or 3dstudio to actually model such complex shapes and then imported it in.

It is possible to do a slightly less complex version directly in AC10 by using a combination of profiled walls and SEOing shapes out of it. You could then make a library part out of it and manually add in some code to make it storey sensitive to display properly with the floor plan cutplane.

Below is my proof-of-concept attempt which took about an hour to make. (Mines the one on the left!! )
Hope that helps!

Pete.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
You could then make a library part out of it and manually add in some code to make it storey sensitive to display properly with the floor plan cutplane.

Pete.

Any place where i can read about this specific code?
Anonymous
Not applicable
hey pete..it took u about an hour to make that copy of rojkind tower? wow thats fast man..
i will try to model that thing on 3dmax..can i use 3d max then imported to archicad?
to what kind of file should i import the model?

thx
Anonymous
Not applicable
To be honest, I only got it half working and it was a fudge at best. (See picture below!)

I think it should be easy enough to create a 'universal' piece of code that you could drop into almost any library part to make it cut plane sensitive.

The route I was attempting (although perhaps wrong and very inefficient) was to set a cutplane to the FPCP height in the library part that cuts off everything above, and then display the model with a thin pen. This would give the outline of the part. Then I created another cutplane that removed everything below and above and just left the cut, which I wanted to display with a thicker line. When both were overlayed it should have given a correct view of the library part.

Maybe we should ask the question in the libraries and GDL forum. I'm sure someone with more expertise could figure it out in 5 mins!

To import a 3d Studio model download the goodie from the Graphisoft website. see here for example - http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=88608&highlight=studio+goodie#88608

Pete.
rojkind_tower_by_PC_cut.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey ...one more thing..hehehe do anyone know how to make oval floor slabs?

thx again guys
Anonymous
Not applicable
To create odd shaped slabs it is often easier to draw the outline using arcs, circles and lines.

Select the slab tool with the required thickness etc and then magic wand in the middle. (The arc/circle tool has an oval geometry setting btw.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
To be honest, I only got it half working and it was a fudge at best. (See picture below!)

I think it should be easy enough to create a 'universal' piece of code that you could drop into almost any library part to make it cut plane sensitive.

The route I was attempting (although perhaps wrong and very inefficient) was to set a cutplane to the FPCP height in the library part that cuts off everything above, and then display the model with a thin pen. This would give the outline of the part. Then I created another cutplane that removed everything below and above and just left the cut, which I wanted to display with a thicker line. When both were overlayed it should have given a correct view of the library part.

Maybe we should ask the question in the libraries and GDL forum. I'm sure someone with more expertise could figure it out in 5 mins!

To import a 3d Studio model download the goodie from the Graphisoft website. see here for example - http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=88608&highlight=studio+goodie#88608

Pete.

there should be a universal code.. coz if u tried maxonform ? it will work on any object or shape you modify in maxonform ... hmmm... ok i'll try that in library section.. thanx alot

and nice model btw
owen
Newcomer
Peter wrote:

The route I was attempting (although perhaps wrong and very inefficient) was to set a cutplane to the FPCP height in the library part that cuts off everything above, and then display the model with a thin pen. This would give the outline of the part. Then I created another cutplane that removed everything below and above and just left the cut, which I wanted to display with a thicker line. When both were overlayed it should have given a correct view of the library part...
Used exactly the same approach to create slanted columns displaying correctly in plan across multiple stories prior to AC10. This standard script could be dropped into the beginning and end of most library parts to do this.

From memory MaxonForm does this for you automatically, but its been so long since i've used it (due to the fact it just won't run on Mactels with C4D 9.6 Intel installs) that i can't remember
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello All,

Having met Michel at ACUE 2006, I believe the _initial_ skeletal structure was modelled using the mesh tool, holes were magic-wanded out and then 'flipped' via the standard object making procedure...

Again I stress _initial_ design !!

Thanks
Alan