Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

mirroring entire house

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just finished a large home, the client now wants to flip the house (even though I asked 100x). I have notes, dimensions etc already placed on plans and elevations. Plans flip fine and work out ok. When I go to elevations the dimensions and notes do not flip.

Is there any not well known method to just flip the entire house with minimal "repairing"?

Thanks.

P.S. I dont have details linked and views linked other than 4 elevations. It's a pretty basic set up even though its a complicated modern style home.
7 REPLIES 7
Labels may be affected (because labels don't like to mirror very well), but . . . .

on a backed up copy of your file,

All layers on and unlocked.

Grouping suspended (unless you have hotlinked files, then it must be off)

Multi-Storey Marquee around absolutely everything.

Everything.

Move cursor to a corner of the building

Mirror.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Barry Kelly
Aaron wrote:
Labels may be affected (because labels don't like to mirror very well), but . . . .

on a backed up copy of your file,

All layers on and unlocked.

Grouping suspended (unless you have hotlinked files, then it must be off)

Multi-Storey Marquee around absolutely everything.

Everything.

Move cursor to a corner of the building

Mirror.
Yes but still all 2D annotation in sections and elevations will not be mirrored.
You have to select it in each one and manually mirror again.
be careful to select only 2D annotation and not any of the 3D elements.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you had a known reference point about which you mirrored everything (a wall junction, gridline or even the origin) you can use the same point to mirror things in the elevation / section views.
gpowless
Advocate
I have to mirror houses all the time for a tract builder. Here's my method:

1. Save all elevations sections & details as modules
2. Open one worksheet for every elevation, section & detail & name it appropriately. Place the modules in each worksheet use the reverse check box.
3. Save the worksheet as a view.
4. Save the entire plan with a different name. Open it and bold marquis with all layers and renovation status on / showing (I use reno status for options and alternates). Delete.
5. Place a module linking the original plan with the reverse check box to the new one and save.
6. In the original plan add the worksheet views to the layouts as if they were views of the main model.
7. Place external drawings from the new plan to the plan layouts.

This produces an exact mirrored copy. Labels, text, dimensions etc mirror correctly. In the past I had trouble with area fill labels mirroring incorrectly but that seems to have been fixed.

Continue to work in the original plan for any changes or revisions, save and update the reversed plan. The update all layouts.

While this may seem time consuming (about an hour for me now I know what I'm doing) once it is set up, updates and revisions are a breeze.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you gpowless, that is great advice. The idea of publishing elevations/sections as modules and mirroring them to independent worksheets is very smart.

Instead of step 4 however, I found it much easier to simply go to 'File>Save As...' and save the whole PLN as a module file. I then placed this module (ensure to select 'Skip Nested Modules') with the Mirror checkbox on into my original PLN file, positioned horizontally next to my original dwelling.

This way I can see both the original and mirrored versions in one view and in one file.

To update any changes to the mirrored version, simply save the PLN as a module again with the same name as the placed module and update in hotlink manager.

All that is required from this point is to mirror a copy of all section, elevation and detail markers on each level.
Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 11.26.25 AM copy.png
JaseBee
Advocate
I think I'm going to have a play around with using modules in this way...

But further to your step #4 alteration, I was only recently made aware that the publisher can save out your modules, 1 click, then update modules, done. Super handy, and might further speed up your revisions/workflow.
AC 24 5004 AUS
iMac OSX (10.13.6) 4.2ghz i7
8gb ram/8gb vram
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you JaseBee.

Yes, publisher is the method I use to save out section/elevation modules to be mirrored.

Saving the PLN as a module file is the main contribution to gpowless post as it doesn't require the additional step of all layers on and marquee, or using a different file. It also preserves dimension chains in plan as sometimes they can be lost via 'Save Selection as Module' or publishing as modules, I think something to do with association to elements.
Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 10.41.58 AM copy 2.png