BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

organic form in archicad 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
i designed something for design studio class using Archicad 14 but I need some help. I used the profile manager to built these organic walls and shapes that I cannot open doors in. I really don't want to photoshop them in... Help[/img]

Art Gallery final 1.png
5 REPLIES 5
JaredBanks
Mentor
Where are you trying to add doors? end walls or curved surfaces? It might be easiest to use solid element operations to cut the holes then add in the doors/windows in separate walls that are the size of the doors/windows. If they are oddly shaped windows, check out the freeform window in the object depository.

Also once you have the holes you could place objects or build the windows/doors out of slabs/complex profiles/etc.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
May I ask, how did you create such form in ArchiCAD?

I'm also frequently designing non-linear buildings but have yet to find a method to build like you have...

Thank You
JaredBanks
Mentor
It looks like complex profiles. If it's not, it could easily be. Also seems like the shell tool will be able to tackle all of those forms very easily.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes JaredBanks and NStocks it is complex profiles.... I did what you said and used solid element operations for the openings I will tidy up the rest in photoshop.... I can't wait for the shell too to come around ...

As you know with complex profiles it is difficult to use custom windows... the window sits outside the wall at a distance so not cool at all... thank you for your help...

I was wondering what the best Light works rendering settings are... Any suggestions?
Barry Kelly
JaredBanks wrote:
Also seems like the shell tool will be able to tackle all of those forms very easily.
So long as these walls are perfectly straight or rotate around a central axis then the shell tool will work fine.
If you want the walls to meander on plan (i.e. as "S" shaped path) then you are back to complex profiles or joining sections of individual shells.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!