Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

patio furniture request

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi would anyone be willing to model some patio furniture and save as a library part for me. I have had a look for existing similar library parts on BIMComponents and other object sites but can't find anything either suitable or has the realism I am after. I would prefer to include this within the model as I am using BimX for my clients.
I don't have the time or know how to achieve the realism and softness of the cushions.
I would like a 3 seat sofa and a matching single seat sofa or the sofa could be a parametric part that allows it to adjust to 1-3 cushion widths
refer to attached image below of the look I am trying to achieve

Overall Dimensions (mm)
Three seat Sofa W2100 x D780 x H860
Single Seat Sofa W860 x D850 x H640

Frame Dimensions (mm)
Width 60 x Thickness 25
Top of cushion seat H450. Cushion seat thickness 170

If you need any other dimensions please let me know.

Fabric and frame materials to be able to be changed

I would greatly appreciate if someone could provide this

Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
The Archicad 24 pillow that Barry highlighted is 3000 polygons so if you were to use this on your seat it would total 18000 polygons plus the frame which would be around 200 polygons depending on the level of detail. The total polygon count would make it very unfriendly.
So if you want it to be realistic the polygon count will be high.
I will put some thought into a parametric cushion that you can control the resolution for, but I fear the issue of realism over polygon count will still exist in such an element.
Creator of Cadswift's parametric GDL libraries
Creator of Infinite Openings and Component Catalogues
Push the envelope & watch it bend
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CADSwift/playlists

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
runxel
Legend
KineticDS wrote:

I would greatly appreciate if someone could provide this
Do you work for free?
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
@runxel Unfortunately generally I don't but I, like the majority of people on this forum, do give their time and advice for free to help others. I appreciate my request might not be for everyone, but there might be some people out there that enjoy these sort of challenges or like to showcase their talents and you never know where the next commission or sales purchase might come from. Having spent plenty of time searching there does seem to be a potential gap in the market of good quality Archicad library suite for modern outdoor furniture especially for the NZ and Australian market where outdoor living is part and parcel of our clients lifestyles. I and I suspect many others might well be prepared to pay for such a library suite. Failing that if anyone can point me to some existing training material that specifically deals with creating items such as realistic cushions and folded fabric that would also be appreciated as I haven't been able to find anything.
Lingwisyer
Guru
That gap in the market is probably due to how poorly AC handles this quality of model. The poly count within AC needs to be ridiculously high to achieve a high level of realism since the program does not handle nurbs and such. Then there is the whole parametric side, which just makes it even more complex...

Also, if you are using BimX, high realism furniture seems like a waste when the lighting and texturing will not be able to compare... BimX is no photoreal presentation...
enjoy these sort of challenges or like to showcase their talents

Sounds like all those people asking photographers and artists for free work. It'll be great exposure they said...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for clarifying that certainly explains why most of the standard AC library parts aren't that flash. I would have thought with the development of the morph tool and the ability for Archicad to calculate glass refraction that it would be able to handle a high poly count and nurbs. Perhaps this will change in versions to newer versions yet to come?
Although surely if one can model a skeleton with curves in multi-directions directions - courtesy Cadimage refer attached (although I have yet to find a client that wont find it strange if I included a skeleton on their couch) than surely some cushions can't be "that" difficult? I will put this question to the CADimage gurus.
If anyone would like to take up this challenge of creating a realistic cushion and push the boundaries of AC, I would be happy to see the result.
Lingwisyer
Guru
What's the poly count of that? Is it an actual GDL object or a translated one?

Anonymous
Not applicable
according to Polycount tool it is 64,721 - I don't know if that is high or not? if you have CADimage tools it is skeleton#1648
Lingwisyer
Guru
Ah. It is part of the CI Essentials Library.

You might be able to build a small basic house with basic AC furnishings for that number of polys... Someone has gone through a lot of effort to make that object, or they have some way to convert a mesh nodes into a matrix. Much wows...

Ling.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll let you know what CADimage say about creating a realistic cushion. Perhaps it is possible, but might not be practical. And rendering more than 1 cushion at a time may push my hardware capablities, but that's another issue.
Barry Kelly
KineticDS wrote:
I'll let you know what CADimage say about creating a realistic cushion. Perhaps it is possible, but might not be practical. And rendering more than 1 cushion at a time may push my hardware capablities, but that's another issue.

It is possible as Graphisoft have already created pillows and a blanket object - check their library.
I haven't checked what Central Innovation have (was CADimage).
They always ask for object suggestions, maybe ask them to make a flat cushion that can be rotated and stretched and isn't to 'perfect'.

The problem with these is they are not able to be rotated in 3D - so they are what they are - unless you want to get into fixing the GDL to allow for rotation.

Archicad is not very good at making these type of forms (although it can be done - i.e. morphs).
Best to create them in other software and import them and save as an object in my opinion.
Either way they will not be very adjustable.
The size can be altered but they will stretch proportionally - so if only resizing a little from the original, you probably won't notice any distortion.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!