I've known from past experience working with pipes in grasshopper and sending them to Archicad via the grasshopper connection that Archicad files increase tremendously in size when I do this (that's a lot of surfaces). I just upgraded to Archicad 22 - and I wasn't surprised when my Archicad pln file size shot up from 80MB to over 300 MB when I sent grasshopper pipe components to Archicad via the Archicad grasshopper connection. To try to reduce the file size though, I deleted the sent components in Archicad - noticed that filesize didn't change though. I checked the embedded libraries - nothing huge. I was still getting fairly good response time from Archicad so I proceeded to carefully reduce the number and size of the pipe components in grasshopper and resent them, thinking that if somehow the sent pipe components were still in Archicad somewhere, even if they had been deleted (deleting the layer they were in after manual deletion didn't complain about any possible elements) that resending updated elements might replace whatever was still in Archicad. This time though the file size increased from 300 MB to over 700 MB! Everything became excruciatingly and tormentingly slow, even just moving people objects a couple of meters, in either ground floor view or 3D view. Ended up missing my deadline extension due to this.
After recuperating a bit with some sleep, I did further testing today. I deleted the updated pipe elements in Archicad manually (used find and select to find all the objects in the layer they were assigned to, unlocked them, and deleted them). Even after deleting these pipe elements, the slowness persisted, even just when switching from 3d window to ground floor view ( a habit I’ve acquired when saving the project file since the default choice to save is always as pln when in ground floor view – when in other views the default choice to save is the last used format, which can trip one up), and when I was finally able to get a response from the menu system so I could save the file, get this, for over 20 minutes Archicad took over 80% of CPU processing, doing Omnescient-Being knows what, so I finally killed the process – nothing was saved. I don’t know if this is related to the problem I described in my post in “Other topics” where purple line of programming code started showing up in my ground floor display window. Restarted the 723 MB pln file, which took forever, redeleted the pipe elements, this time I saved from the 3d window. This time I see the file saved in only a few seconds, which was encouraging, and this time file size was reduced to 438 mb - so I see that this time deleting the updated pipes reduced file size by 300 MB. But then when I try to return to Archicad to delete other elements and see how file size continues to be affected, I can’t, Archicad is chugging on 90% + of CPU power for at least another ten minutes (what is it doing?), so I have to kill the process again. Restart the new 438 MB pln file, imagine seeing a slight improvement in response time, but when gets stuck again at 99% plus CPU usage to just find and select layer elements with closed breps (extruded planar surfaces sent from grasshopper) I want to delete this time to see how it affects file size, I know I’m stuck again in Archicad no-man’s land. I kill the process, after waiting five minutes, restart the saved 438 mb file (each time I restart I do NOT recover the auto-saved project). This time as soon as I’m able to do anything in Archicad, all I do is delete the layer the closed breps are in, ignore the warning about elements being deleted if I delete the layer since this is exactly what I want to do, and save the file from the 3D window (which I started up in). Lo and behold I get stuck at 85% + CPU usage Archicad no man’s land again. I was annoyed earlier but this time I’m livid. So much friggin time wasted! Not being calm enough to even think about how else I can efficiently delete layers and elements layers, save possibly manually selecting each one, unlocking, selecting again and deleting, which would take longer than forever, I let Archicad chug on at 85%+ percent – maybe eventually it will finish doing what it needs to do. It goes on for half an hour. Yes, really. After half an hour I’m calmer so I kill the process. New workaround is to restarting the 438 mb file and before deleting the closed breps, resave it as Archicad 21 format and try deleting the closed breps from Grasshopper there and then reopening the Archicad 21 format file with Archicad 22. But no go. Stuck in 85%+ CPU usage Archicad no man’s land again when I try resaving the 438 mb file opened with Archicad 22 in Archicad 21 format. After five minutes I kill the process instead of waiting longer. Not sure what my options are at this point. Start over in Archicad 21?
Btw each time I kill the Archicad process the bug report window comes up but it soon crashes itself before I can do anything with it wibukey.sys not installed message. Least of my problems at the moment.
Needless to say, all these problems, glitches, and even the testing and problem-reporting, take time from other valuable projects.
I can send any relevant Archicad/grasshopper information/files that might help to understand and solve these problems - if I ever get a response here from a Graphisoft person. This kind of performance is excruciating. I've used Archicad for many years but these kind of problems make me seriously think about switching to Revit, even though I’d have to start from scratch to learn it.