Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

poly count 7750

ahmad525
Booster

hey all,

so i was creating a lace profile wall with complex detailed lace work and art using complex profile and apply it to a wall. the poly count is around 7750, the 2d navigation with this object around is a headache, if i want to view it in 3d it takes around 10 minutes to load and even the slightest move of the mouse it reload again.

ive had objects and morpf inserted with more than 100k polygons, it was slow but it never did this to my pln file. 

mind you i have a pretty good pc.

any suggestions? 

ahmad525_0-1630825674871.png

10 REPLIES 10
Rajesh Patil
Expert

"a lace profile wall with complex detailed lace work and art using complex profile" Possible to elaborate this with some screen shoots?

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB
Karl Ottenstein

Since this shows as one wall in the Polygon Count display... I'm assuming that you punched holes in the wall using Solid Element subtraction?  That many solid element ops is known to bog everything down.

As Rajesh said, perhaps a screenshot of what you're doing.  Also, tell us why you need physical holes in the wall, rather than the appearance of holes?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

hey

so actually the wall is there and the complex profile is applied to it. i created the holes using the complex profile instead of doing it in morph since it a straight wall feature so i thought i can do it in complex profile mode.

please find attached 

ahmad525_0-1630880716777.png

hey

so yeah this is what im doing currently using complex profile editing and applying it to a wall.

maybe its not the ideal way of doing it but it took me so long and when i finished it it was a headache to play around with it. 

ahmad525_0-1630880716777.png

Lingwisyer
Guru

Could you use a texture with an alpha channel instead? This would be super lightweight.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

hey 

would it actually work? ive never played around with alpha channel, dont even know how to apply it but im just reading about it now, its like giving "fake" detail for the object. but im assuming its for a groupd of objects like tree leaves or something ? 

if u can elaborate that would be great !

Your applied texture basically tells which parts to make transparent. Given it is a texture there is no actual depth which will be noticed up close. For rendering you would add a displacement map on top of this which will create actual depth within the material, though this is a bit more complicated to do. 

Ling.

alpha.jpg     alpha2.jpg

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Ahmad, its looking good, lot of intricacy though. Are you doing this only for the presentation or willing to do any detail drawing work related to on site execution? if its only for the visual effects then better to use simple technique of defining the surface with .GIF image of such design along with its Alpha Chanel in Transparency channel of Surface Definition. If you don't know how to do that let me know will surly explain.

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB

hey mate.

thank you! so this work will be presentation but in details. its going to be a feature screening in a gallery house. the whole project will be exported to lumion so im not actually using any surfaces from Archicad. but this alpha channel is interesting. if you can explain that would be really great !