BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

posts not visible in railing

Tracey Sharples
Contributor
Hi everyone,

I can't get posts to show in 3d despite them being there in the settings. I wonder if it has anything to do with the node settings - which are greyed out so I can't adjust? I would appreciate any input on this as I have spent a number of frustrating hours trying to figure it out!
May also have something to do with smoothing the bottom rail connection where the short flight meets the landing - which I also can't fix. Ideas on this also appreciated! (Not real sure why its kicking up at the start either but I can fix that by shortening the rail.)

Thanks for all assistance!
Archicad 26 Win11
15 REPLIES 15
Sightline
Contributor
Same problem here. I can't edit the node settings, no matter what I do. It shows grayed out.
Diego Torres
Architect-CG Artist
Architectural Concepts and Visualizations
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 24
http://www.sightline3d.com
Barry Kelly
Select 'Post' under the 'Node' settings and see if the post is set to 'Invisible' maybe.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Sightline
Contributor
Thank you for the suggestion, Barry. It is set to railing post 24. I have tried others and still the same results. I also checked Model View Options and everything is set the right way.
Diego Torres
Architect-CG Artist
Architectural Concepts and Visualizations
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 24
http://www.sightline3d.com
Barry Kelly
Sightline wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion, Barry. It is set to railing post 24. I have tried others and still the same results. I also checked Model View Options and everything is set the right way.

Check that the post top or bottom offset is not greater than the height of the railing.
That will effectively create a negative height post making it invisible.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Brandon-W_DWa
Contributor

Tracey (and all),

I've never posted or answered in the forum, but when I found a solution for the grayed-out node settings (my same issue for the past day or so), I figured I needed to share. Its not a very intuitive process, so I'm guessing this is a work-around for a bug, not the actual intended method. This does have to be done in edit mode, which the message on the "Node Settings" page of the "Rail Selection Settings" menu sort-of tells us, but its really referencing something else. Image A just shows my node settings also grayed-out like yours were, and the message about Edit mode I'm talking about.

Step 1 (Image #1): In edit mode, hide all components of the railing, and make visible "Segments and Nodes". Once that is done, select the node you need to edit. Mine is offset laterally from the segment, which is why it appears to be "floating". Within my Info Box items up top, there is a blank button next to what appears to be a parameter input for post offset at a corner (this input box is also grayed-out, but the button isn't).

Step 2 (Image #2): By selecting that blank button, you then have three options for posts located at a node. Select an option. These were previously unavailable in the grayed-out settings for the whole railing.

Step 3 (Image #3): After selecting an option, you should see a more prominent line show up on your railing that represents a node (mine was cyan when not selected, similar to the color of the segments). Select the same node you just edited, and open its selection settings. For me, the options were no longer grayed-out, and I could edit as needed.

Other notes:

• Looking back at my image #2, you can see some node settings visible in the info box up top. These were also grayed out prior to selecting an option from the blank button. After selecting one of the options, these settings in the info box became available.
  • I was hoping that after selecting an option from the blank button, I could change the node settings without having to go into edit mode. This isn't the case. Similar to customizing any other rail component in edit mode, that element can only be altered independently from the rest of the railing, and only in edit mode.

I hope this helps!

Versions 19, 21, & 23; currently using 25
macOS Monterey 12.6 - 2021 MacBook Pro 16", M1 Max Chip, 64gb DDR5
Browser: Google Chrome

bWhite:

Good detective work! This looks like a bug, your description should help Graphisoft sort it out.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!