Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

profile wall vs dome shape

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I was doing some seo with prifile curved walls (dome shaped) and was running on some performace issues. I was wondering will using dope shape from library spreed things up? How will that affect my performance?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You should just try it yourself because you have the file and the computer where this occurs.
But I can imagine that the Dome object is faster, being simpler than a Profiled curved Wall. Also, when the 3D of an object is first generated a sort of binary code is generated so it will generate in 3D faster later on.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Dwight
Newcomer
However, if you are making a complex dome with many reveals and protrusions requiring the complex profile, the resolution of the dome can be controlled.

Use the magic wand inside a circle and specify the number of segments.
This will facet your dome and reduce polygons.
magic wand setting.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for a great tip.
I was thinking of making it with the walls, and than saving the whole thing as a object. Maybe that will reduce loading times.
It looks like seo add that time for loading. When there are just walls, everything looks fine, but when I start slicing them, than there are problems..
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
WhiteMan wrote:
I was thinking of making it with the walls, and than saving the whole thing as a object. Maybe that will reduce loading times.
It looks like seo add that time for loading. When there are just walls, everything looks fine, but when I start slicing them, than there are problems..
Try using OBJECTiVE. You can make your dome shapes, control the detail and speed of redraw, and cut the shape up without SEOs. Referring to the attached image:
  • 1. OBJECTiVE provides profiling tools that can create swept shapes like a dome.

2. The settings for the profiled objects includes a parameter to control the faceting (the tolerance in this case), so you can decrease the object smoothness if the 3D display is becoming too slow.

3. OBJECTiVE also provides a Split tool, which can cut objects up with using SEOs. The advantages include faster redraw, simpler application, no hidden objects hanging around, and correct display in plan.

4. The cut dome in 3D.

5. The same object in 2D - note the cut is displayed accurately.
Ralph Wessel BArch