Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

"Hiding" building materials using Graphic Overrides

Anonymous
Not applicable
Goal: "Hide" a single building material within a wall. Specifically, I want to use "Metal: Light-Frame + Insulation Graphic" in a wall, but I want to restrict it so that the graphic insulation does not display on floor plans.

My attempt: I created a rule with criteria "IF building material is Metal: Light-Frame + Insulation Graphic, THEN override fill type to empty fill"

Result: ALL fills in the wall using that building material are overriden, not only Metal: Light-Frame + Insulation Graphic

So this seems to be a limitation of G.O. Can anyone confirm? If you have any other suggestions for achieving the goal above, please let me know.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
JaredBanks
Mentor
G.O. Can't handle this, but pen sets can:

http://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-education/tips-and-tricks/pen-sets-part-eight-thoughts-on-nami...

If you haven't already, download my template ( http://www.shoegnome.com/template/ ) and look at it. I have 2 pen sets: one has hatches on and one has hatches off. To turn hatches off I change the color of the foreground fill to match the background fill. I use colored fills, but if you don't like colors, you could do this by having a gray foreground and white background pen in the ON pen set, and then switch both to white in the OFF pen set. I also have one foreground pen that always stays ON because some hatches you always want on while others you want to turn on and off.

In the image below the bottom two rows are my hatch pens. The lower one is always colored. The one above switches between gray and matching the color below it (thus turning the hatches on or off)
Shoegnome ARCHICAD 20 pen sets.png
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Jared.

Sigh. So much potential with GO, but some is lost. Maybe one day they will add more powerful functionality to GO