BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

"Select Similar"

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be great to have a feature like in 3ds Max, where you can select similiar objects to edit.

Right click "select similar"
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
The algorithm in the select similar in AutoCAD is very good at picking similar objects and then there is Qselect for you identical selection so I know about that, it is the impact on workflow and efficiency that I have an issue with. Archicad is so long winded to get anything done, it just feels cobbled together and that the focus is not on production information being produced swiftly (and accurately) but on silly animated snap symbols etc and 3D modelling over Information Management and speed of drafting/modelling. over the course of a project there is a cost to the extra steps that you go through to operate a command, all extra time is an additional cost to the client or lost profit.
I hope I eventually find out why ArchiCAD is rated by so many people, possibly being back in an office post Covid will help working with other who know the software better but I just keep finding things like the lack of select similar that slow down workflow - looking forward to discovering what makes up for this!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please read up on the Find & Select functionality, its there already.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/76339/
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry but it is not there as far I I can see, I spent an hour trying to get archicad to give me the option to select all the imported autocad elements that were similar. My contention is that it should take 2 mouse operations to carry out this function, right click then then select the option from the menu and that it does not require adding filters etc.
runxel
Legend
James wrote:
My contention is that it should take 2 mouse operations to carry out this function, right click then then select the option from the menu and that it does not require adding filters etc.
Yeah good luck with that attitude! I hope your clients don't think the same way of you! ("Oh welp, making a house should just be the matter of two or three clicks, innit?")

EVEN with the aforementioned Adobe Illustrator you have to choose what "similar" actually means.
And I'm pretty sure if GS would program the thing you want, which would be certainly a process of "trying to outsmart the user" you'd be the first person on the forum to complain that the magic function didn't select the things you had in mind.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
cheers for the personal attack.
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!