BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

"Undo".....in AC16?

rob2218
Enthusiast
I'm a bit confused...and have been for quite some time, about the "back arrow" or the "undo" function in AC16 or any other version for that matter.

Reason: when I do an "undo" or the "back arrow"....I'm never really sure when or what function it is that I'm "undoing"...

Let me see if I can be more clear.
In the other program...Autocad...the 'undo' function basically UNDID "ANYTHING' you just did.......views, windows, crossing, selections, unselections, blocks, lines, plines, text...whatever....UNDO was UNDO.

In Archicad....seems the UNDO is NOT undo and sometimes chooses what and what NOT to do undo?...

Can someone please explain this to me as though I'm a first grader?
thank you.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
In ArchiCAD the undo affects the last edit(s) you made to any part of the model (including creating or deleting parts). It does not undo pan/zoom etc, creating views/sheets etc, or general settings changes. I find this a far superior behavior to the Adesk spec.
rob2218
Enthusiast
well....I beg to differ and agree at the same time Matthew.
Not being able to feel confident in knowing "when/where" an Undo occurs is a tough pill to swallow.

you have explained it here quite simply....but...its not a simple explanation to accept when you are "flying thru the CD process".....creating views, panning, zooming, stretching view ports, creating custom pensets, creating/editing custom layer combos, creating/editing custom profiles, altering the GDL code of an object.....and on and on and on.......see my point here?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps it's what one is used to. The AC way seems totally natural to me but after twenty+ years it should be. On the other hand I get very annoyed in Adesk software having to undo back through pans and zooms to get to the last edit I made. Revit also drives me a bit batty when I do undo an edit and it also jumps me back to the previous view.

BTW, SketchUp and all the Adobe products work much like ArchiCAD. In this respect Adesk is the outlier.

IOW: I'm pretty sure once you get used to it, you'll prefer it.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Rob:
If you use the "Edit pulldown menu" to undo... it will tell you what (and where) your about to undo.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Marc, Matthew......all good advice.
just was feeling the 'pressure' of our loam-n-gloom deadlines approaching upon us in 2-1/2 weeks...

that and the fact that AC16 was acting up with a whole bunch of "TW error" issues this morning made it feel unbearable......

thanks for your advise and knowledge.
always most appreciated.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
Rob:
If you use the "Edit pulldown menu" to undo... it will tell you what (and where) your about to undo.
Also, if you hover over the Undo button a tooltip will appear telling you the what (but not the where).

The one that bugs me is assigning masters. Sometimes I select a blank A3 master on a layout just to print a specific part of a larger drawing. Undo does not set the master back to the original. Happy with undo otherwise, as it takes you to where the last action was (eg. 3D window if you've moved on) and if the effected item is still visible it is highlighted.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the Work Environment, make sure to change the undo limit from the default 20 steps to the maximum of 99 steps. This is found under data integrity and safety.
Learn and get certified!