Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

"reset" orientation of building

Espen da Silva
Booster

I have a rectangular building that appears to have no rotation, but somehow the building is oriented towards north in some sense, notice the small axis symbol in the bottom left:

EspendaSilva_0-1678392080586.png

The little Y-axis arrow is true north, yet the building workspace has been aligned with its own orthogonal lines I guess. I notice this when exporting the file to Twinmotion, where the workplace is now oriented with north, and the building is at an angle. Is there a way to "reset" or make north point directly up in Archicad?  

EDIT: Changing project north doesn't change the axes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

It looks like the model has been drawn to true north and then the view of the plan window rotated to make it easier to draw things orthogonally. 

At the bottom of the 2D plan window you will see a little icon that looks like a square with an arrow next to it and then an angle in a box next to it. If you click that angle text you will be able to reset to 0°.

Refer to this article:

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/26/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC26_Help%2F030_Inter...

If you want everything to be drawn orthogonally rather than true north then if you make sure to set your renovation filters to Show All, turn on all layers and zoom out to make sure you have the entire extent of the model information you can draw a thick line marquee around the entire project and rotate the whole content to be orthogonal again. This will affect any views you have saved and they will need resetting. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution

It looks like the model has been drawn to true north and then the view of the plan window rotated to make it easier to draw things orthogonally. 

At the bottom of the 2D plan window you will see a little icon that looks like a square with an arrow next to it and then an angle in a box next to it. If you click that angle text you will be able to reset to 0°.

Refer to this article:

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/26/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC26_Help%2F030_Inter...

If you want everything to be drawn orthogonally rather than true north then if you make sure to set your renovation filters to Show All, turn on all layers and zoom out to make sure you have the entire extent of the model information you can draw a thick line marquee around the entire project and rotate the whole content to be orthogonal again. This will affect any views you have saved and they will need resetting. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Thanks a lot! This ended up rotating the whole model the same angle that the axes we're set to, so I had to then select everything and rotate straight again, and it worked.