Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

roof and roof wizard

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.
I built this roof using two single-plane roofs and then subtracted them with two slabs, which are hidden in the image. I would like to add the roof's wooden structure using the roof wizard, but when I do it, it does not recognize any subtraction or intersection, as can be seen in the right part of the image and the structures of the two roofs do not match.
Does anybody have an idea of how I could solve this?
Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps the simplest fix would be to convert the rafters to morphs and edit those to the correct result.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you used the slabs / SEO to make the mitre at the corner?
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are so many valid ways of doing this - my preference in the case of this two slope roof is:

1) create a copy of the roof (you have have to split it into single plane roofs before step 2)
2) move the copy to a roof framing layer, then reduce the roof to the size of a rafter 2" wide or so. Now change the elevation and thickness to suit. Group these two roofs together.
3) now you are ready to create an array by selecting this "rafter" use Cntl+U to get a multiply pet palette that allows you to array multiple copies.
4) mirror and repeat then clean up the intersections (you must suspend groups to allow the roofs to intersect cleanly)

I know this seems like many steps, but it goes quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thank you for all answers.
For Mr. s2art, yes, I used SEO to subtract the extra-parts and make the roofs intersect.
For Mr. MarkMoscrip, I am afraid I do not fully understand. I do not need to split the roof, since it consists of two single-plane roofs already. What is a roof framing layer? What I understand is that I am creating single-plane roofs the width of a rafter just to generate one and then turn to multiply them and clean intersections. What about the other elements of the roof, other than the rafters?
What I did, before receiving your answers, is use the roof wizard for the two roofs, then turn the resulted timber structure into morphs and then arrange the morphs, so that they intersect.
Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
igreere wrote:
For Mr. s2art, yes, I used SEO to subtract the extra-parts and make the roofs intersect.
I thought you might have. The correct way to make two roof planes intersect is to select roof 1 and CTRL-click on the edge of roof 2 (CMD-click for Mac users), then select roof 2 and CTRL-click the edge of roof 1.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This gets a bit lengthy to explain, much faster to do than show. This is the first post in a series of 4 total.

OK - so I'm gonna show a lot of images, very little text, you will have to actually repeat this your self before understanding it fully...

In the beginning:
Anonymous
Not applicable
Post 2 for the roof ...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Post 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Finally 4 of 4

To get the final to fit inside of your original roof, you will need to re-size the roof elements and then lower them a hair...

Maybe the morph method is faster - I don't know, I've been doing it this way for so long (old habits never die...) that it is quite quick for me.
roof rafters with double roof - group 3.jpg