Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

same material different display

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a simple composite wall with gyp on both sides, but displays differently on apposing sides.
A clue to why that is?
As best as I can tell, settings are the same.
3d4draw

SameGypDiffDisplay.png
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
The fill pattern has an origin, and in one skin the distance from the origin allows the dots to display, in the other skin the fill is at a point between dots. See my image below. All 3 fills have the same pattern (gypsum) and the same origin, but one fill looks empty.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Stuart
I had looked at the origin in the composite and both were the same so I dismissed it.
In say a cover fill the orientation can be adjusted, but not in a cut fill such
as my image?
For fun tried to adjust gyp fill itself but no option there, or maybe I could
play with the "on screen" dots. I'll duplicate and play with that later.
Or I guess, just live with it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's also going to depend on where your wall is situated. Move it a few millimetres and you might get a different outcome. Depending on the scale of your drawings it probably isn't an issue anyway, is it?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
3d4draww wrote:
For fun tried to adjust gyp fill itself but no option there, or maybe I could play with the "on screen" dots. I'll duplicate and play with that later.
The spacing of the dots can be adjusted in the Fill Types dialog box. Or you might just change the Gypsum Board fill to a different fill with no dots.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
It's also going to depend on where your wall is situated. Move it a few millimetres and you might get a different outcome. Depending on the scale of your drawings it probably isn't an issue anyway, is it?
Thanks Stuart
Never thought to move the wall, interesting.
Your right, at 1/4" scale does not matter, just curious.

David wrote:
"Or you might just change the Gypsum Board fill to a different fill with no dots"
I'll look into that also if I use it at at 1/2" scale.
Thank you

Edit: At 3/4" scale the dots start to make sense no matter how I move the wall.
Conclusion:
@ 1/4" scale, does not matter.
@ 1/2" scale, can look wrong.
@ 3/4" or larger, current fill looks fine.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have begun using percent fills for these situations. They are uniform regardless of scale or position.

The fused ink process laser printers combined with the excellent resolution of PDF's makes fading an obsolete concern. Most commonly, I use gray values of 20% and 40%.
Anonymous
Not applicable
MarkMoscrip wrote:
I have begun using percent fills for these situations. They are uniform regardless of scale or position.
Thanks Mark, nice tip.
I set a gyp fill copy up like that and it works nicely.

However I guess I could have used one of the stock (or modified stock) %fills.

An interesting thing develops though.
After applying a modified gyp % fill in the composite it shows as expected, great.
Then for fun, when I changed the composite %gyp back to the stock gyp fill,
it continues to display the %gyp fill.
Of course tried it with different composites and did rebuilds, closed and reopened file and still still stays on %gyp fill even though composite says it has returned to stock gyp fill.
I'm I missing the obvious?
NoReturn Std Gyp Fill.png
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
3d4draww wrote:
Just looking at your screen shot, there are 2 different fills assigned to the 2 gypsum board layers: "Gypsum Board" and "09 | Gypsum Board". Shouldn't these be assigned the same fill?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
3d4draww wrote:
Just looking at your screen shot, there are 2 different fills assigned to the 2 gypsum board layers: "Gypsum Board" and "09 | Gypsum Board". Shouldn't these be assigned the same fill?

David
Now that's embarrassing
I forgot to look with my looking eyes.
Thank you