Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

save selection as modules

lmcardoso
Booster

Hi people,

I am testing more efficient ways to work with modules but i come against a bug i think.

so i make a wall w windows and a rail and i save it as a module gvl 001.mod

when i drag a copy, break the hotlink change what i want and save it as gvl002,mod and activate the apply offset ... then everything is fine except for the balcony that stops being in the right position and its offset again.lmcardoso_0-1637402730380.png

lmcardoso_1-1637402959926.png

I am using Archicad 23. is this a bug or what?

thanks in advance and have a nice weekend

ArchiCAD 23/24/25 with Win 10
7 REPLIES 7
Stuart_Clark
Contributor

Iamcardoso

Graphisoft publish a great workflow guide on their Learn Portal which is a great place to start.

in my experience the best way to create modules is as follows

Create the mod content on on its own storey below project zero

create a view of what you want to be in your mod file in a folder called mod exports

clone this folder in publisher and create a path for the project (this will ensure your files are structured consistently

change the format to .mod 

use the options to include/exclude nested modules and to limit the storey range

punish mod file

Nest resulting mod files in further mods, or Place within project - above zero

couple of things to watch

1. make sure you use consistent attributes between the hotline source file and any files they're placed in.

2. NEVER edit the mod file directly, ALWAYS edit the original and publish a new .mod.

In terms of the "bug" if it still occurs using the above methodology contact your local technical support team and provide a copy of the file.

Cheers 

Stuart Clark

Automation in Architecture

Archicad 5-25

Mac OS 11.6.1

MacBookPro 2014

2.8GHz Quad Core Intel Core i7

16 GB1600MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB

Dear Stuark,

Thanks for your detailed tip!! 

I am currently using the method you mentioned but i find i get very frustrated with it because i find it very time consuming when it comes to change and update the modules (specially in large projects where the hotlink is placed in many different floorplans) and also very limiting when it comes to creating variantions of the module in a fast time.

thanks anyway

Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and I am very sorry about the issue!

I tried to reproduce the issue, but seems like I missed something. Could you please help us with making a short video on how to reproduce the issue from scratch?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

lmcardoso
Booster

This bug happens when a rail is introduced

Hello,

Thank you very much for the video, this helps a lot!

I could reproduce the issue even on Archicad 25. I think this might be a bug, but we will consult with the development to confirm this. Once we have the answer I will share it with you here.

Thank you once again for your finding and generous help!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

lmcardoso
Booster

you are welcome..hope they find a fix soon. when you talk w the developer team can you ask them if it's easier to add the function of breaking the hotlink module while keeping the nested modules in that hotlink intact as modules ?! 😜😉

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Break-main-hotlink-while-keeping-the-nested-modules...

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hello,

Our developer has identified the cause of the issue. It is definitely a bug with the Railing in hotlinked module. Thus we have entered the defect as DEF-7026. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any workaround in the meantime.

I was unable to get their verification regarding your wish, sorry about that! Nevertheless, please let us know if you have any further questions regarding this issue. Thank you once again for spotting the bug, we truly are grateful for it!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT