BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

scripting 2D lines/fills in a section view?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the deal... I was feeling ambitious and scripted an empty window opening where the skins of the composite wall automatically return around the jambs, head, and sill similar to the "turn plaster" feature of all the stock window library parts. See attached image. I got the results I wanted in plan view and 3D view and was feeling pretty good. Then I tried checking the result in a section cut view and discovered a new issue — I can't figure out a way to create the same skin-wrapping results I did in plan view in section. The PRISM I used to represent the finish material at the jamb in the 3D script gives me a cut fill which can be controlled in the 'Floor Plan and Section' panel of the window settings, but I can't figure out a way to script this cut fill to automatically read the wall skin fill like I did in plan view with a local origin and distortion to compensate for composite skin fills that were stretched using the fit-to-skin option. I can't even figure out how I would script a line or anything 2D so that it would show up in a section cut. Is this impossible?

empty window with turned plaster (resized).jpg
7 REPLIES 7
rocorona
Booster
Just a tough, about lines.
You can't use the LIN_ to draw lines, because you don't know *where* the object is cut by the section line.
Maybe you can test if the current view is a section (GLOB_CONTEXT=4)
then draw horizontal planes for the horizontal lines, setting the pen for the skin line color.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Thanks for the feedback rocorona. I'd read about using GLOB_CONTEXT in
this thread to trigger FRAGMENT layer information in the symbol view, but I was never able to get this working. Is the '2D Symbol' window in the GDL editor the best place to make 2D elements appear in section/elevation?

Also, I guess I want to clarify that I am mostly concerned about the fill here, and want the section fill to be able to automatically read the outermost skin of any composite wall skin I throw at it, not just the particular one shown in the pic. At a minimum I am looking for some control of where the fill's origin starts. You know... a local origin starting at the edge of the finish skin rather than some far off global origin. This is generally not an issue for random pattern fills. However, a lot of our fills (like the GWB fill illustrated here) have a specific thickness and direction and having the cut fill based on a global origin means it's never going to perfectly align within the layer representing the finish material at the head and sill of the window.

Just one thought... in my digging around in the 'GDL Reference Guide' I came across a WALL_POSITION parameter which supposedly reads the starting position of the wall relative to the global origin. I'm wondering if I could somehow use that to calculate where the fill pattern should begin. Again if only I could figure out how to manipulate the origin of the cut fill in section view to start with.
rocorona
Booster
dirty wrote:
Thanks for the feedback rocorona. I'd read about using GLOB_CONTEXT in
this thread to trigger FRAGMENT layer information in the symbol view, but I was never able to get this working. Is the '2D Symbol' window in the GDL editor the best place to make 2D elements appear in section/elevation?
no. The S/E are built by archicad from the 3D model. And this is true also for objects. You have to use the GDL 3D Script.

want the section fill to be able to automatically read the outermost skin of any composite wall skin

no time to go further, now, but you need to look at WALL_FILL and WALL_SKINS_PARAMS globals to get the correct fill to use. But I think it would be very hard to align it with the wall fill.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Have a look at the basic library. There is macro, which do the job automatically. GS widos do use it too.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
rocorona wrote:
dirty wrote:
Is the '2D Symbol' window in the GDL editor the best place to make 2D elements appear in section/elevation?
no. The S/E are built by archicad from the 3D model. And this is true also for objects. You have to use the GDL 3D Script.

no time to go further, now, but you need to look at WALL_FILL and WALL_SKINS_PARAMS globals to get the correct fill to use. But I think it would be very hard to align it with the wall fill.
This is what I was afraid of. Except I don't understand how composite walls, slabs, and roofs can accurately communicate these skin fills with the right thickness in the right position.

I ended up using SECT_FILL in the 3D window to define the cut fill to match the skin (with WALL_SKINS_PARAMS global). Results attached... Still can't believe there is no control over the origin or distortion of the fill in section.

(BTW, sorry for misspelling your name.)
random_sect_fill(reduced).jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
F. wrote:
Have a look at the basic library. There is macro, which do the job automatically. GS widos do use it too.
F. Beister I stole a lot of the script workings in 2D plan view from the 'TurnPlaster' macro which I assume is what you're referring to. However I haven't seen an example of another window or door type that shows a turned plaster layer in section. If there is a library part you know of that does this please let me know so I can copy. Thanks.
Frank Beister
Advisor
Have you looked on this:

WallholeStructure in the BasicLibrary?
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Learn and get certified!