BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

shadows on plan view

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you to create shadows on a plan view in archicad?
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Go to the 3D Window and generate a Top View with Shadows. Make sure to place a Slab onto which shadows can be cast.
Then select all with the Marquee and copy-paste the lines and fill into the Floor Plan.
Delete everything else except for the shadow polygons and fills.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Go to the 3D Window and generate a Top View with Shadows. Make sure to place a Slab onto which shadows can be cast.
Then select all with the Marquee and copy-paste the lines and fill into the Floor Plan.
Delete everything else except for the shadow polygons and fills.

but remember to set the 3D view first to 3D internal Engine not Open GL
Djordje
Ace
Haven't done this recently, but I rememebr that, when copying, you could specify whether to copy everything, or just the shadow polygons.

This is one of the situations where fill and line normalization would help, as the pasted shadow polygons are an unruly bunch, to say the least ...

... yep, just checked, and it works in 11 as before. See attached
3D Shadows.JPG
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

Hi, How can I do an interior Suntudy of an interior space in axonometric plan view taking into consideration the shadow the roof will be creating but not wanting to see the roof in plan rather an internal plan view, typical floor plan view. I am looking to show a client how natural sunlight will move in an interior courtyard that has roofs around. We are trying to assess the impact this natural lit courtyard is making. It works fine if I do an interior perspective sun study however we need a plan in order to show impact of direct natural light from courtyard and surrounding exterior windows around the envelop of the building. Attached plan does not work as it does not take the roof into consideration when you do a cutaway.

5PM-22 December 2022.jpg

Yep. This is the real question. How do we show the shadow of something that doesn't exist in the view?

Local councils started asking for an access to direct sun study. This would mean we need to prove that there is daylight for at least 2hrs between 9am and 3pm on winter solstice...

Easiest would be to show an internal shadow plan, but one that incorporates shadow casting elements not sown in the plan view...

Tricky isn't it?

Any good idea would be welcome!

ArchiCAD since 4.5

Windows 10

The only way i can think of is putting those objects you dont want to see in a special layer that will appear as dotted line and with no fills on a top3d view but they should generate shadows though. 

Then on a layout you overlay your actual plan with this top view. It should do the trick

Learn and get certified!