Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

solid element operation not working

heathldesign
Expert
i have a slab that i'm trying to use as the operator on a wall, both are basic structures. the operation doesn't do anything. i have subtracted the walls from the mesh no problem, and the slab from the mesh, but i can't do any other operations to the wall with the slab. the walls are not locked or grouped. same renovation status, in the same layer intersection group. and, on another note, i have placed a door and can't seem to change the slab type. i'm using AC22 on a mac running OS 10.13.6 i have tried to repair the model, but there wasn't any issues. it's a new model, very small with standard work environment and stock template. AND, i can't align 3D texture on the roof. what am i missing?
Thanks
Heath
MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
So many questions.
heathldesign wrote:
i have a slab that i'm trying to use as the operator on a wall, both are basic structures. the operation doesn't do anything. i have subtracted the walls from the mesh no problem, and the slab from the mesh, but i can't do any other operations to the wall with the slab.

Slabs and walls will interact with each other based on the strength of the building materials.
Stronger BMs will cut away weaker ones.
Select the slab and you will notice a hole is automatically cut around the wall.
So when you try to SEO, there is no slab there to do the cutting.

You need to use BMs with different strengths (i.e. the slab needs to be stronger than the wall).

Or place both elements in different layers.
Make sure that the Intersection Priority Number for each layer is different (in the layer settings).
Remember the IPN is stored with each layer combination so be sure they are correct there too.
Now the wall and slab will not trim automatically and the SEO will work.
Be aware that changing IPNs will affect how all elements in those layers interact with elements in other layers.

heathldesign wrote:
on another note, i have placed a door and can't seem to change the slab type.

I don't understand that one.

heathldesign wrote:
AND, i can't align 3D texture on the roof. what am i missing?

You can't align a texture on a multi-plan roof.
You have to split it into single roof planes.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
heathldesign
Expert
Duh, thanks Barry. i should have known this about the material strengths. the door must be a bug.
Heath
MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
2raarchitecture
Booster

I am having trouble with complex operations too. The attached image is for a skylight (modeled as a complex profile wall), and the operator element is a morph (with waterproofing material set to the strongest priority). I keep doing this operation, but eventually it stops working and the wall comes back to its origen.

Screenshot 2023-05-06 013311.jpg
2RA Building Workshop
www.2rabldgworkshop.com

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz. 16.0 GB. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU.
ArchiCAD 25. 5002 USA Full
2raarchitecture
Booster

The solid operations worked, yet this is dangerous because I am not fully aware why it worked!

Screenshot 2023-05-06 013750.jpgScreenshot 2023-05-06 014021.jpg
2RA Building Workshop
www.2rabldgworkshop.com

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz. 16.0 GB. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU.
ArchiCAD 25. 5002 USA Full