BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

special window

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi , pls give me advice how to create that window. I thing using roofs and glasing wall,but i don't know how to do it step-by step. thanks for any advice.

roof window.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
David Pacifico
Booster
Here is a link to a tutorial I wrote:
HERE

Also see this discussion:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=23406HEREwww.parch.com/?page=newsletters.php4&page2=news/news068.html#Tutorials
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
Here is a link to a tutorial I wrote:
HERE
Good as your tutorial was at the time, David, it is very much out-of-date.

Absolutely NO GDL script editing is required. The wall-cutting slab simply needs to be given the ID of "wallhole". See the annotated version of your article on the wiki here:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Creating_custom_windows?highlight=%28window%29%7C%28custom%29

(Since this improved method is already several years old, we should probably delete the script-editing portions of the wiki article so that the steps are short and sweet. Maybe you can do that on your site?)

Starterr, The method given is the easiest/best way to create your window. In your case, create a fill in a section/elevation to define the shape/size. Copy the fill to plan and magic wand it into the various slabs required (glass and wallhole) and magic wand the frame onto it. Etc. Then save as indicated in David's tutorial.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you. i have one question: do you know how i can change gdl script of windows / i mean top and bottom of window could be angled that i can put the same or different angle like roof, and left or right part could be vertical but with possibility to put angle as well/. it will be great. thanks.
Karl Ottenstein
I assume you mean the standard windows?

Look for W Trapezoid Fix, etc in Special Windows folder. You can set the height of each side to get an angled top. (Would be nice to specify the angle, but they didn't program it that way.)

To modify an existing window would be a huge task.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a window specially for this in the special windows folder. W Slanted Fix. I was wondering if any one out there is having difficulties with the triangle window in this folder. (I am using v11)
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are still using v10 but I'll bet the part is the same. we have found that you can't make a right triangle with it. you can get close but no true vertical leg.
I've also found that you can't get a 6" small leg minimum height using the trap glass part. Not quite sure why on either part.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the Object Depository there is a window named "FreeFormWindow.gsm".
This object can make multi-sided windows of almost any shape and
number of sides. The code for this object is very impressive. It has
replaced a trapezoid window object that I had written before the
Archicad library had a trapezoid window because it is more flexible
than my window object. The only problem with FreeFormWindow.gsm"
is that it does not have trim but if you know GDL you can edit the
scripts so that it has trim. Check it out.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:

Absolutely NO GDL script editing is required. The wall-cutting slab simply needs to be given the ID of "wallhole".

Starterr, The method given is the easiest/best way to create your window. In your case, create a fill in a section/elevation to define the shape/size. Copy the fill to plan and magic wand it into the various slabs required (glass and wallhole) and magic wand the frame onto it. Etc. Then save as indicated in David's tutorial.

Cheers,
Karl
So, I have a slab with holes cut in to create the frame/muntins, and the ID is "wallhole", and another slab that is glass...

I'm still getting a square hole in the end. You are referring to the Object ID in the settings window (prior to the saving of 3d objects as window) and not some script setting ID, right?

Edit: Nevermind... musta been an older version of the window. Got it fixed up proper, thanks.
Learn and get certified!