BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

steady rising street - GDL

Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Greetings from Salzburg in Austria.

I developt a steadily rising street from sinceV6-polygone with curving on his edges including an longitudinal section with all dimensioning tables for real building.

To try: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqzbc1xmg5gwck8/street%20rising%20steadily.pln?dl=0

Key features:

A polygone is changed and growing catching the edges.
The edges are "rounding" automaticly and the result is generating a street - using Archicads profiles - which the user can draw by his own with the normal profile-maker.
The last point can be drawn into the Z-direction. All points between are "interpolated" in Z. Result - is a steadily rising polygon in3D - and the profile follows.

In the ground-floor - you can let it write all point-Nr. and their Z-hights. Also in 2D: its possible to represent a longitudinal section drawing of all of it including a full table with all dimensioning-textes.
This can be drawn to everywhere on the 2d-Plane.
It is possible to change every Z-hight on every point in this section-drawing - to alter the rising - falling of the 3D-Polygone also in the section as in 3D.
The section-drawing can be displayed with different x - y - scaling, to display it much "shorter".

A Youtube-Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a9zTB4r4Fc
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
nice!
just a little Unresponsive!
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Yes - You would need a Pentium 21 - smile. This thing brings Archicad-GDL to its native borders of speeding..

The intended workflow would be - to speed up the process - to add the AC-profile at last when the polygone is (nearly) ready.. And not to make to much segments in the curves by editing and later, you can rise the numbers of the curve-segments.
Barry Kelly
A nice object Hmooslechner.
But wouldn't it be easier now to use a custom profile rail with the railing tool.
This can even be associated to a ridge on the mesh, so if the ridge is adjusted the railing will adjust automatically.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
do you want to add function of earthwork calculations?
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Barry: Did You really trie it? The railing tool really COUD be better than my object, because its points can be connected - associated to the meshes of the terrain - BUT - when using the AC-profiles - it creates "steps", which You have to edit manually. This can be very time-consuming - very laborious. Besides that, the results you get are not very "free of glitches".

I think, that this is fact from the reason, that the railing tool usese not a whole-tube from one ent to enother. It obviously "segments" the Tube - profile and does not get the exact connections..

Then - the railing follows the Terrain - what causes steadily changing sloping. In my object -you get a very even sloping - which you can change later. This mirrors the workflow of an street-planner much better than the solution with the railing tool.

I tried it - of course - before i scripted my gdl here, because of the problems with the railing tool:
german - but You should be able toget my points..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjjslz2QU0Q

I hope, that this gdl helps Graphisoft to work on a much better version of its railing-tool...

Some other points in my GDL are still "open" for development:

In small curves - the profile should get much "wider" - because trucks need much broader ways in curves than in straight sections. Here - the Tube-command is not really helping. It could be made by dividing the Tube in halfe and get make two curves - a wider curve for the outer tube-halve from the middle.. but GDL is slow enough now.. - I dont know if i will really make this ...

In curves - it could be good to change the side-Angle - to be able to drive faster in curves or to let rainwater run away better..

Curves on street-constructing are normally NOT simple ARCS! This would cause a driver to pull at his steering wheel much too fast in curves. They really are constructed more like sinus-waves, so that you later can drive on it by slowly pulling the steering -weels..

In my GDL - the points now are constructed with arcs, abut the curve-points schould be "easily" created wir bezier-curves - lets see..

shendan: No - because a GDL can get no connection to the terrain to calculate this. But - if you later change the object int a Morph, you can get the exact volumes after SOE's with the terrain - using the label-tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you deal with crossroads?
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
No - have not really thought about it. My main intention is to bring graphisoft to a point to develop native tools for such normal arcitectural problems. GDL is very slow on such a complex GDL. A native Tool-solution should be in Archicad. I made similar things by programming stairs and Graphisoft made a new stairtool - much better than i suggested.. but it seems - its very time-consuming for them..
DaveH
Participant

Congratulations your object is brilliant. I would like to use it, instead of your more recent bezier curve version, because I have to follow an already made polyline (and the bezier curve doesn't necessarily go through the hotspots). The problem with the "rising street" is the system crashes while editing the hotspots (memory skyrocketing and Archicad does not respond..I have version 25).
Thanks if you have any advice

It's funny how much of the same things we have written. And for the same reasons. God on ya for still sharing. It makes me want to open my library to the public again.

Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!