Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

the Wall connections problem

Bartolomej
Booster

I'm having trouble keeping proper connection between 3 walls with differing finishes. The connection pictured on the left should not behave like this because of priority of building materials. Junction order is equal, changing it makes it only get bugged in different way. The junction on the right is what I'm aiming at - but it's only 2 walls.

Also - wall heights are the same and no connections above or beneath.

wall connections.jpg

Archicad Start Edition 2021
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Hello Bartolomej,

I insist that you try to modify the reference line of your shear wall. Maybe if you place the reference line on one side or the other can change the connection between your three walls. There is nothing complex or difficult to accomplish.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Hello Bartolomej,

I invite you to try to modify the wall reference lines to get your aim.

A 3D view a be useful to understand your wall height subject.

Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

The problem is the junction is working properly in 3D, just 2D representation gets buggy. I don't understand why. I'd rather avoid modifying reference lines since im trying to apply walls with different composites to make conceptualizing easier - using different reference line modes is probably going to make it unnecessarily complicated at this point. I just don't get why styrofoam covers masonry, since it's building material priority is lower

junction.jpg

By your 3D view I can see your wall reference lines seems to be good.

Did you try to modify display order of the shear wall ?

Christophe - FRANCE

Display order doesn't seem to change anything - connection exists but is weird - as in attachment

connections2.jpg

 This occurs with all triple wall connections in this project - 2 wall connection works perfectly fine.

Eduardo Rolon

There is a trick were you create a custom profile column and place it in that corner to make sure everything looks correct.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/Clean-up-junctions-in-composite-walls/m-p/182911#M9...

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Solution

Hello Bartolomej,

I insist that you try to modify the reference line of your shear wall. Maybe if you place the reference line on one side or the other can change the connection between your three walls. There is nothing complex or difficult to accomplish.

Christophe - FRANCE

Yeah, this way it works, however I still would prefer to keep references in cores because I'm probably going to remodel the whole thing a few times until it comes to final version. But still - good to know how to make it work.

junction3.jpg

Or, to make it easier to work with reference lines - is there a way to change reference line without changing wall positioning?

Strawbale23
Expert

I am having exactly tha same problem. 3 wall junction and the walls a behaving very strangley. I really dont know what to do. I have checked materials strength, wall priority, reference line.

Why is the adjacent wall affecting the interior skin of the composite wall that it is joined to like this???.

Unfortunately it is happening on several wall junctions, in both 2d and 3d.

AC26
https://www.zendsign.fr/

and these junctions:

AC26
https://www.zendsign.fr/