Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

the continuing saga of composite wall clean-up disasters...

__archiben
Booster
i hope the screenshot is self-explanatory.

the issue began with the two rebates being formed vertically at the interior wall junctions as shown. however: it is the outside skins that are to blame!

further messing around (several hours. can i send you my invoice graphisoft?) revealed that the walls were not joining in junction arrangements that I had set them to.

the wall reference line should form a continuous line around the exterior of the building because i had carried out an 'intersect' command on them. they should NOT suddenly shoot off into the building along an interior wall if i 'adjust' the internal wall up to it.

in the example below, skin priorities are as follows...

14 - external core
12 - internal core
6 - interior lining
4 - exterior cladding

... which leads back to the original 3D problem: how the hell does an exterior wall skin - with a lower priority than the internal linings - form a rebate in that lining on the other side of the wall?!

(and yes: priorities have been checked, double checked and examined in the finest detail. all walls are set to use the settings of the composite.)

remember this is nothing fancy: it's pretty depressing that after twenty-four(?) years the basic building blocks of archicad - walls - cannot form a simple, everyday junction correctly. don't even get me started on wall/slab/roof junctions...

THIS HAS GOT TO BE ADDRESSED SOON.

compWallJunct.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
22 REPLIES 22
__archiben
Booster
if anyone wants a zipped PLN to have a crack at it, PM me with your e-mail address - it's too big (326kb) to add here . . .

personally, i would love to see GS post the solution back here. anyone over there up to it?

ben
b e n f r o s t
Aussie John
Newcomer
Best I can do Ben is boost the connecting wall ( with window) skin properties to very high and reducing the plaster of the composite wall to very low. Leaves a line in 2d but gets rid of the rebates. In my view is definitely a bug if the 3d looks different to the 2d.
You obviously failed to sacrifice the office junior and appeased the Gods in Hungary
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
__archiben
Booster
Aussie wrote:
In my view is definitely a bug if the 3d looks different to the 2d.
thanks john. the whole wall/composite wall junction display is long overdue for an overhaul. sure, it got patched up a bit so that complex profiles could be included without having the villagers torch the castle, but it's still missing so much and should be amongst the top priority features to fix.

cheers
ben
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
well. i've fixed it up: but only by changing my working methods: it seems that if the reference line is offset from the wall edge - like to the edge of the core or something sensible like that - then the priorities of the skins jump all the way through the wall . . . not just as far as the reference line.

ugly. bug.

here's another one...

e-mail on the way to GS....
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Aussie John
Newcomer
So many things to fix up you wonder if GS will ever catch up. They obviously are more concerned with the newer version revenue stream. They need to watch their backsides if people decide to migrate to other software.
Lets get 80% of the features up to 99% bug free rather than 99% of the features at 80%
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ben i had some problems like yours. I couldn't solve them.

composite junctions
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I will chime in to add my voice to the chorus calling for real composite junctions in all views, between all compositable elements. Whilst I'm dreaming, the composites themselves should be restructured into assemblies of predefined building materials, each with the ability to be graphically or numerically offset from each other, both across the section or from the edges of the assembly, and have the ability wrap openings and ends, and simulate real solid elements for calculation purposes. Wake me when works.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Erika Epstein
Booster
Geoff wrote:
I will chime in to add my voice to the chorus calling for real composite junctions in all views, between all compositable elements. Whilst I'm dreaming, the composites themselves should be restructured into assemblies of predefined building materials, each with the ability to be graphically or numerically offset from each other, both across the section or from the edges of the assembly, and have the ability wrap openings and ends, and simulate real solid elements for calculation purposes. Wake me when works.
Absolutely!!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Firstly I think its fair to say that composite priorities work most of the time, however they are complicated to use, and not reversible with an undo command, so you can easily spend half an hour sorting out some complex junction. I would like to see some way of setting individual skin priorities either in plan view or within the wall toolbox.

Secondly there are still junctions that skin priorities can never deal with, nor composite walls. Enclosed is a screenshot of one I drew a couple of days ago and had to patch.

My view is that there needs to be the ability of creating a polygon wall with its own patch symbol embedded in it, which can be edited as necessary. As to how this might work I don't know.

I have never entirely grasped wall intersections in Allplan, it has an alternative approach which has its own inherent problems by which composite walls are formed of multiple linked walls. This does allow skins to be intersected individually at the users command, but can cause the program to struggle when junctions are revised. However don't rush out and buy Allplan because virtually everything else is worse than ArchiCAD.
complex composite junct.GIF