Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

top rail ends

heathldesign
Expert
hey there,
I have to say that the railing tool is not the most intuitive tool to be sure, nor the stair tool for that matter, but i digress. I am trying to get both ends of my top rail to end parallel to the top rail instead of levelling off. I have managed to get one end to terminate correctly, but not the other. i can't see a way to separate them either. the changes affect both ends. so why can't i get both ends the same? i can't seem to upload any pics, i get a msg that says "the submitted for was invalid" i tried PDF, JPEG, TIFF
Heath
MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
When you open the rail settings, if you see a yellow warning triangle, it means your railing has different segments and the settings in those segments are not the same.
You can reset them - but that will affect all segments and may not be what you want.

However, if you go into the edit mode, you can select the individual end and adjust it.
There is a hotspot at the very end on top to select the rail end.

Barry.

PS I had no trouble attaching a JPG file.
Maybe your was too big?
Or just a glitch at the time?
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
heathldesign
Expert
yep, that was it. though i have no idea what i did to break it into two segments. i will figure this thing out one day. i just tried to attach the pic again. same issue and only 373KB
thanks!
Heath
Barry Kelly
heathldesign wrote:
yep, that was it. though i have no idea what i did to break it into two segments. i will figure this thing out one day.

When you find out - let me know.
Usually it is because you have edited an individual element, rather than the whole rail settings.
You can also right click and 'Convert pattern to segment length' and that will make each segment act as a separate rail and you have to change settings for each segment separately (in edit mode turn the segment view on).
I agree - it is all a bit confusing sometimes.

heathldesign wrote:
i just tried to attach the pic again. same issue and only 373KB

Not sure what is going on here then - the file can be up to 5MB.
I just use the upload attachment tab below were you create the message.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
heathldesign
Expert
tried again just now. it doesn't matter how i try to upload it, i get the same result. thanks for the tip on creating separate segments, that will be very handy.
Barry Kelly
heathldesign wrote:
tried again just now. it doesn't matter how i try to upload it, i get the same result. thanks for the tip on creating separate segments, that will be very handy.
Just remembered there was an update to the forum a while back.
You will need to look at this and clear your cache.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=72141

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
heathldesign
Expert
yep, that did it, thanks.