Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

total length vs moved length

gotphish001
Enthusiast
Say I have a slab that is 10' x 10'. If I want to offset one side in so the total length is 8', I move that side in 2'. That gives me the 8'. Is there a way for me to put in the 8' which would be the end result instead of the amount I want to move the one side. In my example the numbers are simple and the math is simple. I'm asking for when I have something that is say 3'-4 1/16" and want the total to be like 2'-9 1/4". I want to just be able to type in the 2'-9 1/4". I shouldn't need to do the math in my head. I know there's got to be a way. My googling skills are failing me on this one.
Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey
Autodesk Expert Elite
Archicad 26 Solo USA
https://farkasassociates.com/
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
If the direction is orthogonal you can use the "offset edge" place it on top of the opposite edge and type X if horizontal or Y if vertical, then 8' followed by + if moving to the right or -- (minus minus) if moving to the left. If you are in decimal or meters you only need one minus sign.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

gotphish001
Enthusiast
The double minus is what I was missing. If you only do one minus it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Every time I think I figured it out, I'd come to a minus situation and it would do something different.
Thanks
Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey
Autodesk Expert Elite
Archicad 26 Solo USA
https://farkasassociates.com/
Eduardo Rolon
You can also do - +
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
gotphish001 wrote:
The double minus is what I was missing. If you only do one minus it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
With imperial units, the first "-" will be seen as a separator between feet & inches, so the second "-" is read as the minus operator. If the Working Units are set to decimal feet or decimal inches, then the first "-" will be the operator (no feet & inches separator is needed).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14