Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

v15. wish list.

Anonymous
Not applicable
what should be weeks before the next release I thought I would shoot for the moon and lay out my request for Archicad in its next release! my ten wishes in no particular order:

I wish for:

1. complete integration of gesture based trackpad into the mouse settings and such, so that panning and the like are a delight rather than a workaround. gesture based input could be much more efficient than the mouse when we get up to 10 or 15 input gestures. *drools*

2. the ability to make my own custom objects without the GDL code nonsense that so easily discourages me.

3. need i ask? stairmaker.

4. a method for referencing window door to a specific zone. i don't care how. i just care.

5. 3d renderings directly onto layouts. what's this nonsense about saving it to a jpg and then bringing it back into my sheet layout?

6. w&d openings to affect multiple walls when i deem it necessary.

7. i also want it to read my thoughts (only the good ones!) and translate it into 3dimensional buildings.

8. a reader for the ipad2. something. throw me a bone here!

9. real reflected ceiling plan views.

10. variable height walls with a 2d like editor in planar elevation view where you use a pet palette to alter the heights and points etc.

did i aim too low? what's your list?
15 REPLIES 15
Dwight
Newcomer
You are a little late for wishes. They probably need at least a year to do anything.........

However:

RE: Wish #2: GRANTED YEARS AGO

Custom Objects are easily made without code.

See Reference Manual page 1008.

RE: #7 Archicad reading your mind

They tried this a long time ago and it didn't work out well:
building made from thoughts

Mostly I try to keep Archicad from reading MY mind with this:
make-it-yourself-Archicad-thought-reading-barrier
Dwight Atkinson
Erich
Contributor
Dwight, how do you find all the good pertinent links? Perhaps it is your alien connections?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
They don't call him Canada's funniest artichoke for nuthin.

Given TW2 was rolled out over two years, and we know the next big thing will be modeling, as Dwight pointed out the post is too late. Suggest rename the thread AC17 wish list.
Dwight
Newcomer
Oh? WHO told YOU the next big thing would be modelling?
Dwight Atkinson
JaredBanks
Mentor
RE: Wish #5: also already granted. Save a view in 3D and set it to generate in photorendering window. Then place the view on a sheet. Done. I'd suggest then setting the view to manual update so you don't get stuck regenerating the view every time you go to the sheet.

Also what do you mean by #9 that can't be done already fairly easily?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
really Dwight? pg 1008? i can't get past page 5 before becoming very afraid of the imminent alien invasion..

however since it is you (i happen to enjoy your sense of humor as demonstrated in various posts), i may give it a whirl.

Jared, thx for the tip on the rendering! as for 9... i guess i still don't really know. before plunging into it I am a little concerned about overhead beams. in plans i need to show them in a dashed line. rcps solid. i don't know... i kind of think if that is one problem I will have going into it, I may run into others. who knows I may be pleasantly surprised.

i'm surprised i haven't seen more clamoring for gesture based input in archicad though. the development of that would be simple, and a throng of cult mac followers would bow prostrate to graphisoft contingent on graphisoft demonstrating greater deference to Apple.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jared, many thanks for the rendering on sheets tip. I just got it working.

Dwight I read up on the reference manual. it appears i have made a mountain of a molehill.
Dwight
Newcomer
While you make valid points, and without destroying your enthusiasm for suggesting improvements since you are so new to the forum, Graphisoft is a turgid enterprise scrambling to attract new users through enterprise appeal, not clever-versatile-guy-in-his-basement appeal.

As such, we see that thru the years, they focus on performance aspects, not interface apects.

And from an old guy to a new guy, everything seems simple, but assigning the correct priority is hard.

Another factor that you might consider is that users clamouring for features are people who have already purchased the program. Who cares about THEM?
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
cant wrote:
I read up on the reference manual.
When one dismissively says RTFM, and the FM is 2400 pages long, I can see how you might feel abducted by aliens.

So posting on the forum IS actually the best way to eradicate misconceptions. If you fear being thought of as an idiot, that's what nicknames are for.

I am presently learning SketchUp and I feel like an idiot almost all day long right now.
Dwight Atkinson