Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

vertically rotate / move around hotlink and object

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I want to:
(1) move around and place a hotlink to a specific location (not exactly on a strorey), need to move around in various views (plan, elevation, 3D views) and and
(2) vertically rotate a hotlink or an object (around the Z plane), seems now i can only input angle and rotate hotlink in horizantal plane,

Regards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I would not recommend modelling to this level of detail. That said: instead of a module, you could create an object for the rooftiles and add a parameter for rotation.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I would not recommend modelling to this level of detail. That said: instead of a module, you could create an object for the rooftiles and add a parameter for rotation.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Erwin,
yes object can be moved around, but as I saw:
(1) the parameter for rotation for both module and object are only for rotation within X plane, not for Y or Z plane....nor move around after be placed (neither X, Y nor Z plane)

Also since the vertial rotation of roof tiles varies on a curved roof plane, so there should be hundreds of parameters of vertical rotation (though the parameter of inclined rotation not found)

Thanks
Regards
furtonb
Advisor
You can add the ROTX, ROTY, ROTZ, or simply the ROT transform command the beginning of your 3D script.
http://gdl.graphisoft.com/reference-guide/3d-transformations

You can then control the rotation in 3D - to assign graphical hotspots, you need to dive into GDL a bit more and assign hotspots that control the rotation.
http://gdl.graphisoft.com/reference-guide/graphical-editing-using-hotspots

Modelling each tile seems an overkill though, but if you are modelling this for a university assignment or a demo project, then you could use the GH connection, where you could do the initial coordinate transformations with Grasshopper. You might lose some sense of control at first, but it's worth it in my opinion.

If you want to go the GDL way: in your case it seems you should move your coordinate system to the +Y with 323mm, then rotate along the X axis (ROTX) with a certain angle (the roof pitch minus an arbitrary angle to compensate for the overlap between tiles).
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Furtonb
yes bingo I should not use other program but a pure BIM software, ( though I know blend rhin 3DX MY etc)

OK I try GDL someday,'

Thanks
Barry Kelly
Modules are great for repetition and can be adjusted in height to any level.
However they can only be rotated in the horizontal plane (around the z-axis).

An object with a rotation parameter could be the way to go.

Otherwise you seem to like Morphs.
They can be rotated in 3D in any direction.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
The GDL(library-part) - solution could be like this:

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Anonymous
Not applicable
great GDL, thanks all
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I have noticed it for a while... and don't know if its a bug or a feature, but if you save only Morph elements as a module, then you can freely 3d rotate it as if it was a single element. If you save it along with any other element (Wall, Slab, etc) then when you update the module, the rotation is canceled and it behaves a a "regular" module.
Barry Kelly
Braza wrote:
Barry wrote:
I have noticed it for a while... and don't know if its a bug or a feature, but if you save only Morph elements as a module, then you can freely 3d rotate it as if it was a single element. If you save it along with any other element (Wall, Slab, etc) then when you update the module, the rotation is canceled and it behaves a a "regular" module.

Yes you are correct.
That is because morphs can be freely rotated in any direction.
Walls and slabs can't be, so as soon as they are in a module, the module is constrained to rotate only around the z-axis.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11