Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

very complicated structure

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anybody have an idea how to model object like this in the pictures below?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
and this
Anonymous
Not applicable
*should* be able to do it with the mesh tool.
then use teh "mesh to roof" tool/add on once u have it right
Aussie John
Newcomer
GeNOS wrote:
My first thought but I dont think it is as simple as that

I dont have the answer but the mesh tool wont tell you the curve algorithm. (maybe the OP already knows the curve points)

Also it looks like part of the shape is tilted meaning a mesh would be more complex than a symmetric shape which is tilted after shaping.

I suspect that the mysterious coons GDL command might be used somehow, (if i fully understood it).
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
GeNOS wrote:
My first thought but I dont think it is as simple as that

I dont have the answer but the mesh tool wont tell you the curve algorithm. (maybe the OP already knows the curve points)

Also it looks like part of the shape is tilted meaning a mesh would be more complex than a symmetric shape which is tilted after shaping.

I suspect that the mysterious coons GDL command might be used somehow, (if i fully understood it).
good point.. not sure how you would do it in that case...
Aussie John
Newcomer
After a little digging Frank Chin and Oliver Dentan's fabulous "Tentmaker" object might help significantly.
see
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=34271&sid=60f5113ac5263c2e02f4f07e260c8fd8
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Dwight
Newcomer
Sometimes a hypothetical answer doesn't address the drawbacks to a given approach.

Of course, if you were going to attempt this shape with the mesh tool, it is nearly impossible because of managing the huge number of nodes while attempting to replicate the smooth curves created by highly-tensioned fabric. I estimate 300 nodes would be needed to replicate the smoothness of the fabric, but still successful only rendered at a distance.

Not only is the skin double-curved, but the overall element itself is tilted — a double whammy to Archicad's pathetic modelling capability. You MIGHT manage this using level contour lines to average eccentric flaring, but the final assembly is tilted, so once the mesh is built using the level contours, the actual element itself should be tilted as an object....

OR stack a series of cones to replicate the smooth circular stretching - you will note that only the top and bottom edges of a given mesh element can curve..... the rest are flat facets.

The attached illustration set is a 10 minute experiment to see the feasibility of building this thing as a mesh. The side element is my template for the upswing curve. It is not well-resolved — a proof of concept only. It would take another hour to refine the nodes.

The upper cone shows the basics - an elevated opening with no added contours - straight sides - and the descending opening with rudimentary contours to indicate the flaring control method.

If i was to do this for real, I'd:
— need accurate templates for each curve.
— about 12 contours for each cone.
— to make the element orthographically and tilt it later.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also... you can use by cone from basic shapes from library as shown in the attach
65.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey you really had idea to solve my problem, which i meant it is impossible...Dwight thank you for helping but I think it is very hard work with mesh tool, and it isn't so precisious.Mohaa gave me pretty nice instructions so I'll try to play with those cones...Thank you all!