Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

wall intersections change with structural display?

heathldesign
Expert

hey all,

I have a problem with wall intersections when i change structural display settings. my exterior composite walls interior layers will be built at different times than most but not all of the interior walls, because it's a Passive House. so only the structural interior walls are to be built with the exterior walls, and the service cavity wall and interior partitions will be built together later. if i set the structural display as entire model, everything looks good. see the first pic. but when i change to core of load bearing elements only, the structural int. walls cut right though the exterior walls ignoring the skin priorities. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 13.43.16.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-01 at 13.43.37.png
MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
5 REPLIES 5
DGSketcher
Legend

@heathldesign I separate my internal walls onto a different layer from the external and then assign different layer intersection numbers to each layer so they don't connect. You may need to do some initial juggling with the display order to have the junctions display as you have in the top image.

If the layers have the same intersection number then AC will try to connect the walls which is why you end up with image 2.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

i guess that's a work around, but i'm wondering why the intersection should change with the view? it's got to be a bug or some setting i'm missing. if i do solid element operations, the intersection conditions remain even if i hide the layer that one of the elements is on or if i change the structural display setting. so in the case of my walls, the hidden elements are still there and the interactions are obviously still relevant even if some elements just aren't visible at the moment. 

seems to work for me ?  Try editing your Composite Wall so that both insulation skins are set to Core.  ?

I like it that the dimensions added while in Core Only display mode are automatically only visible in that display mode.  That way the dims added in Floor Plans which are sometimes in different locations for the sake of clarity can be different than for the Core Only view - which sometimes I have shown at a different scale too, which can require a different size font.  

In order to have the same model display for Core Only and Without Finishes - and just for the sake of showing a different set of dimensions - you can play around with the skins type settings to get what you want.  ?  And this includes being able to use different fonts, pens, arrows... the dimensions can look completely different and be in completely different locations, if that is ever useful.  For example as a means of showing metric and imperial dims on the same dimension chain - using Trace Reverence or in Layout putting one drawing over another and some layer changes. 

You can have a different set of dimensions for all (4) of the Partial Structure Display modes.   

SteveJepson_0-1636142992685.png

Always some way to get what you need with Archicad 🙂 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMj14EC1eLc

2021-11-05_12-27-01.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

nope, that's not what i'm looking for. i want the smaller insulated wall off for structural wall framing plans, then shown when partition walls are done. any interior structural walls will be built before the smaller insulated walls. this is what i need. 

i can only achieve this by not allowing the walls to connect, so i don't get accurate connections represented. in this case it really doesn't matter, but i could be a problem at other times.

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 12.49.02.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-05 at 12.48.01.png

Different   Model View Sets   is all you need for that.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBZITr83ip0 

2021-11-05_14-55-01.png

Also, for making drawings that can display the future partitions Trace Reference is a big help for that.  What your doing seems a lot like making Renovation Plans where there are a so many different types of walls that need to be displayed in so many different ways.  I make Plans sometimes for different stages of construction in order to have prints that match construction time schedules.   Here is what's been completed, here is what you need to demolish tomorrow, here is how much you need to have completed by Wednesday, here is what you need to get materials for on the next truck... Personally, I think what the Contractor does with Archicad is a lot more complex than what the Architect does with it.  Especially if you wear both hats.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25