Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

wall intersections in 3d

adamsb
Newcomer
Hi all,

I have noticed that, even when two walls intersect properly at an angle in plan, one wall always has priority over the other in 3d. This causes the materials to not line up very well. (I know that individually setting the 3d alignment manually can overcome this, but that's not the point.) This also ends up affecting the way the sections work through cuts near this intersection.

This isn't a wall priority problem as both walls are the same building material, surface material, fill, layer, wall priority, and everything. They also meet properly on plan. I would like the wall "mass" in 3d to create a mitered affect, instead of one wall passing all the way through the other wall.

Can somebody help me with this one? Thanks.
AC21 64-bit
Mac OSX 10.12, 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB mem
Mac OSX 10.11, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB mem
16 REPLIES 16
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
adamsb:

Try this: select the weaker wall (the one whose Surface does not reach the corner) and increase its Junction Order (in the Model panel of the Wall Settings).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
adamsb
Newcomer
Thanks David,

Their junction orders are equal to each other, so this shouldn't be happening to begin with, right? But, right now in my example they are both set to 8, and make the weaker wall a 9 causes it to take over and "push through". This is just as much of a problem, as the walls should meet as a mitered connection only, neither stronger than the other.

What do you think?
AC21 64-bit
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
adamsb:

This is what I get when increasing the Junction Order of the weaker wall.

David
Wall_Corner_Textures.png
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
adamsb
Newcomer
David wrote:
adamsb:

David
I appreciate you testing that for me. It looks like your walls are doing the same thing I mentioned, based on the material directions across the top of your walls. I assume that if you click on one of the walls, that it would show the right wall coming "through" the left on the corner. Am I correct?

Do you (or does anyone) know how to get this to be truly mitered? Thanks!
AC21 64-bit
Erich
Contributor
The former miter behavior changed with the introduction of building materials. What is it that you need to accomplish that cannot happen with the new methodology?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
This may be related to this problem:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=48526

The texture alignment issue has now been fixed in AC19.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
adamsb wrote:
David wrote:
adamsb:
David
I appreciate you testing that for me. It looks like your walls are doing the same thing I mentioned, based on the material directions across the top of your walls. I assume that if you click on one of the walls, that it would show the right wall coming "through" the left on the corner. Am I correct?

Do you (or does anyone) know how to get this to be truly mitered? Thanks!
Based on your screen shot, I thought the issue was the texture on each vertical wall surface (I cannot see the top of the walls in your image). The walls do not miter (there is a legacy switch under Project Preferences > Legacy, but that is a step backwards in other ways). So I am not clear what you are trying to accomplish. You could use Morphs on top of the wall to control the texture appearance if that is the issue.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
adamsb
Newcomer
Thanks everyone for your responses!

There are two problems this behavior is causing. One problem is similar to the link that James B added. I would like to do a manual 3d texture alignment differently on the two walls. This can't be done if one of the walls if forcing to show up on the adjacent plane.

The other problem this is causing...hard to describe. I have a project with a 15º turn in the wall. Because I need to cut two sections, one on either side of the wall break, these walls don't show up properly in section cut. Whichever wall is the "stronger" wall will show up in section, but cause the other wall to disappear in section, and show nothing! Not good.

I mitred return angle within all the composite wall elements would completely solve this! Should I assume, based on your Legacy option David, that this simply cannot be done? It really doesn't seem very helpful, I hope they change this!
AC21 64-bit
Erich
Contributor
Since this appears to be a somewhat free standing fireplace element, can you change the walls to morphs and get things to work for you? That would eliminate the wall end behavior and perhaps get you better control of the materials.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K