Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

wand tool correctly sees boundary but zone tool gives an error

kosta
Booster

Hi ! 

I have gypsum and brick walls together and I don't think material definitions somehow might harm area calculations, in other words I'm doing area calculation of premises and some (almost half) of them giving me error that boundary isn't closed.. but they are closed as wand tool sees boundary correctly.

why that happens ?

boundary of wand/polyline tool 

kosta_0-1646390198817.png

error of area tool

kosta_1-1646390225334.png

or how to connect them more properly "due to renovation" as message says , I think they are connected quite properly.

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

By area tool do you mean zone tool?

As the message says the renovation status of some of the walls may be different to the zone you are placing.

Therefore there is no closed boundary.

Or it could also be the wall is not set as a zone boundary - that is less likely as you have to set that in the wall settings.

Default is for a zone boundary.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
kosta
Booster

@Barry Kelly No, all walls here are set to zone boundary and countable for zone tool.

yes I mean zone tool not area, sorry for that.

I mentioned magic wand tool and it sees that boundary no matter what reno status walls are.

and I still don't understand how to zone new rooms in that case ? as It will always have walls with different reno statuses if one using renovation workflow.

kosta
Booster

Solution is to change zone tool renovation to new too. but it is strange as it has also walls that is not new. why wouldn't you just let zone tool work regardless of reno status.. 

I did a little test.

BarryKelly_0-1646399961619.png

As you can see an 'existing' or 'to be demolished' zone can not be bound by 'new' walls.

That makes sense - you can only have a 'new' zone in 'new' walls.

You can't have a 'new' zone in 'to be demolished' walls - because the walls will no longer be there.

The one I don't quite understand is you can't have an 'existing' zone in 'to be demolished' walls.

Logic would say the walls are there (until they are demolished), so you should be able to have an existing zone.

But then I think Archicad is saying you are demolishing the walls, so you should really demolish the existing zone as well and replace it with a new one.

So it does make sense if you think of it like that.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
kosta
Booster

@Barry Kelly  what I'm saying is that maybe instead of having zone by status differentiation

you might have just a zone tool that simply works if any type/status of boundary is closed and then I will add it to desired status manually. 

You can always manually draw your zone rather than using zone boundaries to automatically place a zone.

You can also draw lines as zone boundaries - I am not sure if these have a reno status - I don't have Archicad with me at the moment.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@Barry Kelly wrote:

You can also draw lines as zone boundaries - I am not sure if these have a reno status - I don't have Archicad with me at the moment.

Lines (and other 2D elements) have a renovation status.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14