Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

what controls which file a module is created in?

Erika Epstein
Booster
In AC10, when I save elements as a module, the file created does not use the file I am saving from to create a new archicad module file.

For Example I save out a plan from the Smith file, but the new module file created automatically by archicad is using a Jones archicad file and adding attibutes from the Smith file.

Fortunately, when I place Smith hot-linked modules [back] in the Smith file, it is does not bring in the Jones attributes.

How can I control which file archicad is using for new modules?
Why isn't it just using the file I am creating the module from as its base?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
7 REPLIES 7
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
When you say "using a Jones archicad file", are you refering to the file settings (background color, attributes, etc.)?

I don't know about AC11, but in the past, the MOD file usually opens up with the settings of the last opened (saved?) file.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
TomWaltz
Participant
Modules only contain the attributes that are actually used in them. As Laura pointed out, they APPEAR to have the attributes of the last file you opened, but they are not intended to ever be opened directly.

Usually they are published from a source PLN file then placed into another one. All the editing (and content via layer control) happens in the original "Smith" PLN file.
Tom Waltz
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
TomWaltz wrote:
Modules only contain the attributes that are actually used in them. As Laura pointed out, they APPEAR to have the attributes of the last file you opened, but they are not intended to ever be opened directly.
This is my understanding -- thanks for taking the time to explain, Tom.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Erika Epstein
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
. As Laura pointed out, they APPEAR to have the attributes of the last file you opened, but they are not intended to ever be opened directly.

Usually they are published from a source PLN file then placed into another one. All the editing (and content via layer control) happens in the original "Smith" PLN file.
Thanks Tom & Laura. The APPEAR is not accurate as I am able to use all these attributes when editing a module. Perhaps I am not creating and editing modules correctly. When I edit a module in the Smith file I right click on a placed instance and choose "Edit this module in separate archicad". The file that opens up has attributes from a completely different file, sometimes the Jones file sometimes the Brown file etc. as discussed, and these aren't the last saved archicad files.

I noticed the different attributes because I often have to switch the pen set to the one I want, it's not what was active in the Smith file, but fortunately is included in the available list of pen sets.

My concern is that another team member might not realize they shouldn't use these other attributes like layers etc. or rearrange the pens for the incorrect pen set...and ultimately all this is brought back into the main file.

Is this aspect of module management just that, it needs to be managed?
How are you handling this in your offices?

Thanks,
Erika
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Erika Epstein
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
. As Laura pointed out, they APPEAR to have the attributes of the last file you opened, but they are not intended to ever be opened directly.

Thanks Tom & Laura. The APPEAR is not accurate as I am able to use all these attributes when editing a module and bring them back in to the main file.

Perhaps I am not creating and editing modules correctly. When I edit a module in the Smith file I right click on a placed instance and choose "Edit this module in separate archicad". The file that opens up has attributes from a completely different file, sometimes the Jones file sometimes the Brown file etc. as discussed. They aren't the last saved file, and again, why isn't it or couldn't it be based on the file you are working in?

I noticed the different attributes because I often have to switch the pen set to the one I want, it's not what was active in the Smith file, but fortunately is included in the available list of pen sets.

My concern is that another team member might not realize they shouldn't use these other attributes like layers etc. or rearrange the pens for the incorrect pen set...and ultimately all this is brought back into the main file.

Is this just another facet of module management?

Thanks,
Erika
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Erika Epstein
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:

Thanks Tom & Laura. The APPEAR is not accurate as I am able to use all these attributes when editing a module and bring them back in to the main file.

Perhaps I am not creating and editing modules correctly. When I edit a module in the Smith file I right click on a placed instance and choose "Edit this module in separate archicad". The file that opens up has attributes from a completely different file, sometimes the Jones file sometimes the Brown file etc. as discussed. They aren't the last saved file, and again, why isn't it or couldn't it be based on the file you are working in?

Is this just another facet of module management?

Thanks,
Erika
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika,

Attributes are tricky things (as usual) with regard to the modules and hotlinks. They will use whatever matching attributes they find in the file they are hotlinked or merged into. They will also add any attributes that are not found. The matching is done by name rather than index number (except for pens that only have a number).

This is the main reason I am especially careful to match attributes across all files within a given project, and a big part of why this is important for office-wide standards.