Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

will AC21 .PLA open in AC19 and how to save down 2 versions?

mi_jan
Enthusiast
I'm currently working in AC21 in a single model and need to send the embedded library .pla + the model .pln files to the local architect who is working in AC19. Can he open the AC21 .pla file that I create in his AC19? Another question, Do I have to download AC 20 so I can save down from AC21 to AC20 and AC20 to AC19?
iMac - MacOs Big Sur 11.6.6
Archicad 24 - Latest Build
Archicad 25 - Latest Build
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
Yes you will have to go 21 to 20, then 20 to 19 as a PLN before saving as PLA.

However I don't think this will do anything to convert your library down to 19.
Embedded library objects will save back but not linked libraries.
So if you are linking to library objects created in 21 then they may be missing - I'm not quite sure how the migration libraries work when going backwards.
When you get the file back to version 19 you will see for yourself if the library objects are working or not.
If you are using the GS library then you will need to delete the 21 library and load the 19 library before trying to save as a PLA.
But if you are using the standard GS library there is no need to save as a PLA which means to me you must have your own custom library?
If that is the case and it is compatible with 19 then all should be fine.
If not you will need to find a 19 compatible version.
You will see by the time you get the file to 19 if you have any library issues.

However you definitely will have missing stairs and rails from the 21 file if you used them - as these will not convert back at all.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mi_jan
Enthusiast
I did some components with complex profiles that have some custom surfaces and saved them as object. I just want to make sure he gets the object in the file. Am I better off converting the objects into morphs?

Additionally, should I convert the rails and stairs into morphs so he gets that too?
iMac - MacOs Big Sur 11.6.6
Archicad 24 - Latest Build
Archicad 25 - Latest Build
Barry Kelly
mi_jan wrote:
I did some components with complex profiles that have some custom surfaces and saved them as object. I just want to make sure he gets the object in the file. Am I better off converting the objects into morphs?
So long as the objects are in the 'Embedded' library they should convert back to 19.
If they are in a loaded external library then they will remain in version 21 format and can't be used in 19, even if saved as a PLA.
mi_jan wrote:
Additionally, should I convert the rails and stairs into morphs so he gets that too?
This is the only way the stairs and rails will convert back.
I'm not quite sure how useful they will be if you co-worker needs to make modifications to them though.
But still it is better than nothing at all.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11