Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

window transparency in hidden line views

Peter Bennison
Contributor
In previous versions (6.5 ?) AC standard windows had very useful glazing on/off box, allowing you to see through windows in basic 3d hidden line views when glazing box was checked off.

This is not rendering, nor shaded view so 3d transparency and material options do not apply.

Now in AC7 the standard window menus are much more complicated, but can't find this basic feature ?

Not to mention the really annoying standard dimension feature that appeared in AC7 which prevents you stretching the window to fit a non standard dimension, can't find any way to turn this off, have to resort to measuring the dimension I want and entering it numerically, very slow.

How does AC8 perform on this one? (nearly update purchase time for me).

I'm sure Theometric windows would allow this ?? (another overdue update purchase for me)
Archicad 21 FR MacBook 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 16Mo RAM MacOS Sierra
10 REPLIES 10
David Pacifico
Booster
I think in 7.0 it became possible to be able to turn ON "Transparency in shading" in Image/3D Window Settings. A little different effect than turning the glass off but effective. (You'll want if off when generating Section/Elevations.)

In 8.0 you have 2 different 3D engines. When using the OpenGL engine when you turn Transparency in shading on it has the effect of just making anything with 70% transparency or more appear like it is not there.

In the Window Parameter list check and see if you can set the size to "Custom." Then you should be able to stretch in plan to a custom size.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Peter Bennison
Contributor
Thanks David

But as far as I know all the transparency settings available in the 3d window options menu only affect shaded or rendered views, I am interested in the hidden line only views for the moment.

Because I rarely have the time/fees to go beyond simple line drawing perspectives and axonometrics that I colour up by hand for a quick result.

Which is why the choice between dead looking blank closed windows or windows where you can see what is happening the other side (in hidden line) is a big issue for me.
Archicad 21 FR MacBook 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 16Mo RAM MacOS Sierra
David Pacifico
Booster
Hello Peter
Check it in 7.0. I posted an example from the 3D window hidden line at my previous post.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Djordje
Ace
Peter wrote:
But as far as I know all the transparency settings available in the 3d window options menu only affect shaded or rendered views, I am interested in the hidden line only views for the moment.
No; they also affect hidden line views and sections and elevations too.

Make sure your glass material is transparent, though.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
This brings up a point that has often raised my eyeballs up and to the left. Why is the transparency for a section/elevation not set within the section/elevation tool itself, like most of the other attributes?

Makes sense hey? Especially when you have saved 3D viewsets and section/elevations, with different transparency options.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Why is the transparency for a section/elevation not set within the section/elevation tool itself, like most of the other attributes?
WISH LIST ITEM NUMBER 0 !!!!
Link wrote:
Makes sense hey?
Ooh yeah !
Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as I am concerned, this is a major problem. You can not save elevation view sets with the option of window transparancy on or off. The elevation views are at the mercy of the 3d window. This is not right and in my mind requires an immediate fix.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dr wrote:
As far as I am concerned, this is a major problem. You can not save elevation view sets with the option of window transparancy on or off. The elevation views are at the mercy of the 3d window. This is not right and in my mind requires an immediate fix.
I added this to the wishlist... just to see if we were 3 annoyed or if others do find this issue annoying...
Djordje
Ace
Dr wrote:
I will have to check, but I seem to remember that whatever is set in the 3D window when you define the elevation QuickView gets remembered. I usually keep the transparency on in 3D, but make a point of switching it off for the elevations (confuses most people).

Will check and report back.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen