BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

zero thickness membrane layer line in a composite element

Bartolomej
Booster

Hello,

the commonly met standard in my country is that membrane layers, like water insulation are drawn as dashed line over layer they're placed on in section or detail. The question is - is there a tool to do that with composites? What I've done is placing zero thickness layer with additional line - but the lines overlap and it doesn't look quite right. Another possibility is to offset that zero thickness layer for example 1 cm into the next layer - but then I expect that problems might occur when creating schedules. I've attached an example

layers.jpg
Archicad Start Edition 2021
3 REPLIES 3
DGSketcher
Legend

It's not a new problem. Last time I checked I think GS advised against 0.0mm thickness composite layers, but this may have been lifted in 24 & 25. You can assign a thicker pen to draw the membrane line, although it won't be offset like your image. Currently I leave the membranes out of my composites as too often they don't merge correctly at junctions and you don't really need to show them until you start detailing those junctions. From the BiM perspective it isn't good either, but our expectations are a bit ahead of the software when it comes to this level of detail. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly

The problem is you want to model it as it is built, but you don't necessarily want to document it that way.

Generally I would show the membranes as annotation (lines) at larger scales and leave them out of the smaller scale and actual modelling as DGSketcher suggested.

Then you can show them exactly as you want them to be.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Tim Ball
Expert

If you don’t want to show the membrane having any thickness, just change the separator line to say a coloured dashed line

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Learn and get certified!