GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

2D Symbol Types, Custom 3D Picture Face Camera, and Proportional Sizing of Plant Objects

ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out three different things to get the plant object that comes pre-loaded in the Archicad Library to work bit better for our workflow Open to slight edits in the GDL Object Editor interface, but don't know the scripting language to make big changes. Thank you for any thoughts!

2D Symbol Types
What's the best way to edit the 2D Symbol Types? I'd like to remove some of these, add some of my own by drawing them in Archicad, and change the names from "Type 12" to something more descriptive. Ideally, they'd be black and white line work, with the ability to still do custom colors with pens and fills.

Custom 3D Pictures Facing Camera
Using transparent cutout images from the internet. The AC object allows you to select this file and attach to object. In the Generic Axonometry 3D view, when the model is re-built the plants do not rotate to "face the camera", how is it possible to make that happen? In Generic Perspective it works well, if I orbit around the trees, and then rebuild, the cutouts rotate toward me the viewer.

Proportional Sizing
When adding these cutout images, is it possible for the height and width of the object to update based on the size of the image, so that the image is not distorted. For example, if I have a bush image that is 3,000x3,000 pixels, ideally the AC object would register that it's a square and make the width and height match those proportions.

—— Thank you so much!
5 REPLIES 5
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
One other potential edit I'd like to make!

Thank you again!

Change the Tree Type Setting Panel
This seems like a more complex change to the object, but would be nice to change this dialog box, or even remove all together. Since I'm not using the trees that it comes with these don't do anything for my workflow.

Lingwisyer
Guru
ethanbodnar wrote:
Proportional Sizing
When adding these cutout images, is it possible for the height and width of the object to update based on the size of the image, so that the image is not distorted. For example, if I have a bush image that is 3,000x3,000 pixels, ideally the AC object would register that it's a square and make the width and height match those proportions.

Click on the chain links to the right of the size inputs?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
Also, one more issue that I can't seem to wrap my head around. This one feels like it should be easy.

Size in 2D Plan View Too Large
In order to get the images used in 3D to scale proportionally and not be stretched and be the right height, I needed to have their size be 12x12 feet.

However, in 2D views I'd like them to actually be smaller representation (bottom three objects in screenshot) so that I can fit more information into the drawings. Any way to do that?

For example, in this image there are four trees, if I make them all 9x9 feet they're huge (the top object in screenshot) but I'd like to include more for plants under the tree, and information on the sidewalk, etc.

Lingwisyer
Guru
Could you just use one of the basic outlines and make the background fill transparent, so that you can can see the tree extent, but still read everything else easily?

Ling

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
Hey everyone, still super struggling with these issues, and unable to fully use Archicad for my workflow yet!

Wondering if anyone is able to help, happy to pay a consulting fee at this point, or if you know anyone who would be able to take on a project like this.

Thank you