BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

APX addon file not working with AC24 on Mac

dushyant
Enthusiast
When I try to build an example from the v24 API Kit, the Product is a .bundle file. Whereas when I build a custom addon using the template from the kit, the Product is an APX file. And on loading the addon in Archicad24, I get the following error in the Addon Manager: "The file is either not an Add-On or an outdated one that cannot be used with this ARCHICAD version."
4 REPLIES 4
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
The extension isn't the problem - either apx or bundle will work fine.

The message "file is either not an Add-On or an outdated one" is a catch-all for "something went wrong loading this add-on", i.e. it doesn't point to a specific problem. There can be many causes for that error - I suggest watching the console output while Archicad is starting up to see if there is a specific report when your add-on is loaded. It might point to a specific problem.

Does the add-on include the required MDID resource etc?
Ralph Wessel BArch
dushyant
Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Ralph.

Yes, it seems the extension is not an issue, as now I tested both .apx and .bundle addons working with Archicad-24 on Mac.

The problem with the addon at my end got resolved by restoring the default template from the API kit. I had edited it earlier by replacing the relative path with absolute path to the libraries / headers in the API kit. (This works on windows visual-studio though.)
Does the add-on include the required MDID resource etc?
Yes.
I suggest watching the console output while Archicad is starting up to see if there is a specific report when your add-on is loaded. It might point to a specific problem.
Console of Xcode or the OS? In case of Xcode do you mean debugging mode? Can we track realtime debug messages from Archicad in the `Terminal`?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
dushyant wrote:
Console of Xcode or the OS? In case of Xcode do you mean debugging mode? Can we track realtime debug messages from Archicad in the `Terminal`?
Either Console or Xcode can be used, but it's easiest to watch in Xcode when you launch a debugging session. Search/filter the console output for your add-on name to see if any specific errors are reported when it attempts to load the add-on. It's helped me in the past when an add-on didn't load.
Ralph Wessel BArch
dushyant
Enthusiast
Ok. Thanks!
Learn and get certified!