Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

ArchiCAD 17 and VS C++ Express?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I am learning archicad and trying to open an existing example from API Development Kit in VS Express C++. I am having trouble to run the example.
However, I installed all the necessary components and programs. This error window pops up all the time I try to run.
The third line in russian is translated as: "Impossible to find the designated folder".
I copied the API DevKit folder into the VS Express folder, doesn`t help.
Please, help if someone faced such a problem or does all this stuff.

P.S. I need to run ArchiCAD in VS C++ Express.
This is the printscreen: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1186x667q90/841/7hxh.png

Thank you in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
The API dev kit is not designed for Express... so you're pretty much on your own to figure things out there.

See these old posts related to Express vs full Studio:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=212466
notes that you have to install a Windows SDK that does not come with Express

Also:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=206877

which says that only 32 bit development is done by Express. Your screenshot shows an attempt to do 64 bit development (which is all that 17 allows)... so some extra things apparently have to be done to allow 64 bit development.

The Build error in the "Output" window in your screenshot shows that the build failed... so naturally the apx cannot run. (The apx cannot run standalone anyway.... it can only execute within AC as an add-on.)

The message 'Failed to write to..' suggests a permissions problem and/or the missing 64 bit tools.

I don't really have a clue other than the above... maybe that can help, or maybe someone else using Express can help you out.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much for your answer.
I know that VS C++ Express doesn`t run 64 bit development, that is why I installed Windows SDK 7.1 in order to use VC Express C++ 2013 to run 64x code. To be more precise, I am a new trainee and my boss asked me to run an ARCHICAD example code in VS C++ Express 2013. I installed all the necessary components to run the example and trying to run the ARCHICAD project from an API DevKit folder/examples in VS C++ Express 2013 which I fail to run all the time. Saying the truth, I don`t that imagine how do these programs interact and how to bundle them so it worked. Some say, DLL should be a linker between two of these programs, others say, SDK 7.1. should be hooked up to run the archicad program trough some add-ons.
It is way too complicated and pretty confusing for me as I didn`t work with niether of them before. I think, my aim is clear, please, could you just tell me the way you run archicad projects in VS C++ Express??? Documentations, literature can`t help.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Wikipedia article on VS C++ Express:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio_Express

It says:
Express editions were conceived beginning with Visual Studio 2005. The idea of Express editions is to provide streamlined, easy-to-use and easy-to-learn IDEs for hobbyists and students, rather than professional software developers.
So chances are you will not be able to do what you want with Express because it is deliberately limited by Microsoft. Plugging into the API of a software sounds like professional software development to me.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
Akiim wrote:
please, could you just tell me the way you run archicad projects in VS C++ Express??? Documentations, literature can`t help.
As I said in my first reply... where your screenshot showed that you were attempting to run the archicad project (apx). You can NOT run an archicad add-on outside of archicad. It is impossible.

The add-on must be loaded using the add-on menu in AC, or by having been copied into the add-ons folder, in the build of AC that corresponds to the version of the API development kit. Only then can it run... and even then, it can only be run using the interface provided in the add-on itself. Using the Add-on menu in AC will show you if the add-on loaded properly and where it can be found in the menus.

None of this is easy or designed for beginners at all. A person with modest skills can run the sample add-ons... IF they use exactly the tools that GS specifies for development. Using different tools, or developing your own add-ons requires advanced programming skills.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all who helped me to cope this problem.