GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Archicad vs. Autocad/Architectural Desktop

Yasemin Afacan
Newcomer
Hi everyone.

I am a new comer to this forum. I am a Ph.D. candidate and instructor of FA 131 Technical Drawing and Lettering I in the Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design at Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey.

I got acquainted with this forum when working on my Ph.D. thesis. I have read all AC vs. Revit and now I have questions related AC' programming language. In AutoCad/Architectural Desktop I can use Visual Basic to create some add-in and macros. And my question is that in ArchiCad GDL has same role and function compared to VB in AutoCad/Architectural Desktop? Is it possible to make all desired add-in and macros with GDL?

If not so, what language should I learn and use?

Yasemin Afacan
5 REPLIES 5
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
In AC You got two ways to make what You described:
- GDL is for making objects used in AC, it something like programming in Basic and it is open for everyone,
- Add-on programming with C+. Also for everyone (and free) but you need more detailed information how to do it. In this way you could make plugin working inside Archicad.

regards
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Yasemin Afacan
Newcomer
Thank you Rafal.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can download the Archicad Developer Kit from:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/developer/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Yasemin Afacan
Newcomer
Thanks Laszlo Nagy.
As far as I understand this developer kit is free, and to able to use it I should learn C++.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, correct.
If you download it, you will find all relevant information in it, I suppose (program requirements, condtions etc.)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27