Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Bug Archicad 24 IFC Import

Andre Gaspar
Contributor

Hello all!

I´m having a problem importing a IFC file (Ventilation file) to Archicad 24 only. (ok on 23 and 25)

When I import the file by the end this message appears.

Screenshot 2021-09-20 082609.jpg

I have the Archicad MEP library already link on the project. If I press Locate Library an error message and I have to start again. If I press Continue then I can go and locate the MEP Library file and it will work.

The problem is if I update the IFC file I have to do this allover again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Hi Andre,

Our developer has informed me that this was a known issue with Archicad 24 SWE.:

During Merge operation, we use the libraries loaded in the Library Manager, but during hotlinking we start with a small set of library parts and load only libraries that are needed. But the name of the MEP Library we use for loading is wrong in this case.

In SWE this name is "ΜEP Bibliotek 24", but the correct name should be "MEP Bibliotek 24". They seem the same, but put them in a text comparison tool and it will show a difference for the letter 'M'. One of them is the Greek letter Mu (Μ) and the other one is the usual M (M). They look the same but from a computer's perspective, they aren't.

A possible workaround is to duplicate the "ΜEP Bibliotek 24" folder in the AC installation folder then rename the duplicate to ΜEP Bibliotek 24 (change the M with the Mu character). This way AC will find this "other" MEP library when hotlinking an IFC file.

The issue has been fixed in Archicad 25 SWE, unfortunately, it was not possible to port the fix back to AC24. I hope this answers your question, and I am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
brown7
Participant

Opens the complete version or filtered components of an IFC document as a brand new project. Archicad will rework the imported factors into corresponding Archicad factors, primarily based totally on settings withinside the selected IFC mylowes Translator for Import.Merge (File > Interoperability > Merge): Available handiest in Floor Plan view. Inserts an IFC version in complete or in a mykohlscharge element right into a walking Archicad project. Merge preserves your walking project, with out overwriting its data (that is the “Reference version” concept). However, even in this “Reference version”, the merged factors are actual Archicad factors primarily based totally at the IFC-Archicad mapping convention. In the Merge process, Archicad robotically generates new IFC GlobalId (Archicad IFC ID) values for all imported factors to keep away from overwriting the IFC GlobalIDs of the host project. For the functions of list and searching, the factors’ unique GlobalId values also are retained, withinside the shape of a parameter called “External IFC ID”.

Sorry, I´m very confused with your answer.

I can import the IFC, but now when Import it askes for the new MEP library in Archicad 24. After I select it every thing is ok. This only appends if I import with Hotlink and not if I use Merge.

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear Andre,

Thank you very much for your report and I am very sorry about the issue!

I was unable to find any similar report in our database, thus I believe this is a rare one. Could you please send us the IFC file for further investigation? Please let me know if you need a secure place to upload the file also!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Nguyen!

I send you a PM with a link to download the file.

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi Andre,

Thank you very much for the file!

I tried to import it using the same language version as you have, but I had no problem with importing the IFC file. There was no error with it. May I ask which method you used to import the file, and with which IFC translator? Also make sure that the latest update (6004) is installed for Archicad 24.

For me, I usually go to File > Interoperability > Merge > Merge from file, select the IFC then choose the translator (I tried with Exact Geometry Import and Revit MEP import, both are successful).

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Nguyen,

If I use File > Interoperability > Merge > Merge it works ok for me as well.

Usually what  I do is File > External Content > Place Hotlink. Using this method I don´t have IFC translator to chose from. I can, but appends the same thing with Exact Geometry Import and Revit MEP import.

Hi Andre,

Thank you very much for the information! I was able to reproduce the issue on Archicad 24 SWE using the method above!  Strangely, the issue does not happen on AC24 INT or AC25 SWE. Since there is no explanation on why it does not work on AC24 SWE,  I will forward the case to development for further investigation. As soon as I have an answer I will let you know!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Solution

Hi Andre,

Our developer has informed me that this was a known issue with Archicad 24 SWE.:

During Merge operation, we use the libraries loaded in the Library Manager, but during hotlinking we start with a small set of library parts and load only libraries that are needed. But the name of the MEP Library we use for loading is wrong in this case.

In SWE this name is "ΜEP Bibliotek 24", but the correct name should be "MEP Bibliotek 24". They seem the same, but put them in a text comparison tool and it will show a difference for the letter 'M'. One of them is the Greek letter Mu (Μ) and the other one is the usual M (M). They look the same but from a computer's perspective, they aren't.

A possible workaround is to duplicate the "ΜEP Bibliotek 24" folder in the AC installation folder then rename the duplicate to ΜEP Bibliotek 24 (change the M with the Mu character). This way AC will find this "other" MEP library when hotlinking an IFC file.

The issue has been fixed in Archicad 25 SWE, unfortunately, it was not possible to port the fix back to AC24. I hope this answers your question, and I am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Nguyen!

Thank you. This solves my problem. Just had to replace the M on the name of the folder and now every think works fine.

For other people with this problem just copy this "Μ" and replace it and it should work.