BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.

BuildingMaterial

plastotronic
Participant

Hello there,

in order to automatically retrieve the ThermalResistance in various elements, i wonder how to deploy the value from ThermalConductivity, found in BuildingMaterials for calculating the Value by the Thickness of the material.

Since i am completely new to python in Archicad, i guess using "act.BuildingMaterialAttribute" would be a proper way. So i ask for a way to read the needed value and put it into the elements.

6 REPLIES 6
poco2013
Mentor

@plastotronic wrote:

i guess using "act.BuildingMaterialAttribute" would be a proper way. So i ask for a way to read the needed value and put it into the elements.

That would get you the Building Material Type. but your wanting to get a attribute for a particular Building Material - Thermal Conductivity. Unfortunately , you can not presently do that in Python scripts right now. This is because Python can only retrieve properties from elements and a building material is a attribute not a element.

However, This can be done via the C++ Add-Ons. I have created such a add-On which will return all the attributes of any defined building material to a Python script via the CommandHandler function. But the Add-On is currently written for the 26 release and therefore will not be available until the release of 26 -- due shortly. It can not be re-compiled for 25 since changes have been made between the 25 &26 API's.

One Note -- the C++ API always returns values in metric units (Watt/meter C), so if your are using imperial units, you'll have to convert.

I have also created the Python script which does exact;y as you described, if your interested, I'll release the add-on and the the script after 26 is released??

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

Thank you very much, this would be great!

Best regards - Reinhard

Hi Gerry,

Now I got my Archicad 26 and want to ask, if you would send me the add-on and Python-Script as mentioned?

Best regards - Reinhard

poco2013
Mentor

The Add-On and script are posted on my GitHub site:

GitHub Site 

The Add-On is data_access and the example script is GetBM.py. The script just displays the Material in a dialog. -- You will need to modify the data as needed. Compiled only fot Archicad 26.

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

Dear Gerry,

thank you so much for access to your ressources, unfortunately my Archicad version is German, so i cannot load the apx into it since ist seems to be compiled in EN.

so, what to do?

Best Regards - Reinhard

Hi Gerry,

I just figured out, that it is now possible in Archicad 26 to assign the Value of ThermalTransmission of the BuildingMaterial direct to the PSet_Parameter, which was not possible in the previous versions. But if there was a way for accessing it via Python in the German Version, it would be a good extension in the whole Pipeline.

Best Regards - Reinhard

Learn and get certified!