Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

CodeWarrior 9 question

Karl Ottenstein
Hi guys,

Well, I'm about to take the plunge into the Mac/OS X world in the next couple of weeks, buying a used system from a fellow ac-talker. Jumping into a new world of products and terminology, I feel safer double checking things before purchasing things.

Ed Brown wrote on September 20th that CodeWarrior 9 is required for creating AC 9 compatible add-ons.
http://Archicad-talk.Graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=21264#21264
The API "System Requirements" specify CodeWarrior Pro 9. Unlike Visual Studio, I see that there are lots of versions of CodeWarrior, primarily offering different combinations of targets. I don't see a "Pro" version.

So, is" CodeWarrior Dev Studio for macOS, OS X target version 9.0" all I really need, as listed on this web site:
http://www.programmersparadise.com/Product.pasp?txtCatalog=Paradise&txtCategory=&txtProductID=M24+04...

Any other advice to a newbie to Mac development appreciated...e.g., any little utilities that are 'must haves', etc.

Thanks!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
16 REPLIES 16
TomWaltz
Participant
Karl

welcome to the Happy Side of the computer world!

The cool thing about CodeWarrior is that it is the ultimate cross-platform IDE, with the ability to compile programs for almost any operating system on the planet, from Windows to Mac to Unix to Symbian to Playstation.

You do want the Development Studio for Mac OS 9, http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Develop/Desktop/Macintosh/Professional/Mac9.htm

It looks like they even have a good price on it.

I seem to remember that CodeWarrior was a pretty easy install. You just have to copy over a few directories from the API into it.
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Tom!

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
__archiben
Booster
Karl wrote:
Well, I'm about to take the plunge into the Mac/OS X world in the next couple of weeks, buying a used system from a fellow ac-talker. Jumping into a new world of products and terminology, I feel safer double checking things before purchasing things.
there's hope for you yet . . . !

i'm not a developer as you know, but if you need to know anything about the operating side of things drop me a PM . . . glad to help out.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Karl wrote:
Don't worry, I'm a Mac guy too And sometimes I'm called a 'developer' as well

BR,

Akos
Karl Ottenstein
Akos wrote:
Don't worry, I'm a Mac guy too And sometimes I'm called a 'developer' as well
And, always, you're called "most helpful"!!

Glad to know I'll have so much support as I jump in. 😉 UPS is supposed to deliver the G4 today, and the monitor tomorrow ... so if after bouncing around in a truck for a week it turns on, I'll be joining you in the Mac world on 1 December. 😉

Karl
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Karl wrote:
So, is" CodeWarrior Dev Studio for Mac OS, OS X target version 9.0" all I really need, as listed on this web site:
http://www.programmersparadise.com/Product.pasp?txtCatalog=Paradise&txtCategory=&txtProductID=M24+04...
Any other advice to a newbie to Mac development appreciated...e.g., any little utilities that are 'must haves', etc.
The product you describe is the one I'm working with. I'll be happy to help if you run into any obstacles.

There are many great development tools on the Mac, but not much that is directly applicable to development with the ArchiCAD API. I often use CVL as a front end for CVS, which is essential for everything. The development software Apple provide with Mac OS X is great too, but not directly applicable. I use Interface Builder to lay out dialogs - the Info palette can provide coordinates in the correct orientation for grc files.

Hope you make a smooth transition!
Ralph Wessel BArch
Karl Ottenstein
Ralph wrote:
I often use CVL as a front end for CVS, which is essential for everything.
Well, you've already taught me two new acronyms and googling them is making me even happier about getting the Mac. As an old Unix guy, it feels like I'm "going home". 😉

Thanks very much for the other useful tips and offer to help, Ralph!

Karl
Oleg
Expert
Ralph wrote:
I often use CVL as a front end for CVS, which is essential for everything.
I use Subversion on Win side (+ TortoiseSVN).
Interestingly, had somebody experience of SVN using on the Mac side and especially in the mixed platform environment.
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Oleg wrote:
Interestingly, had somebody experience of SVN using on the Mac side and especially in the mixed platform environment.
It works quite good, the usual problems of file encodings and especially the GRC compiler not handling some CR/LF/encoding combinations do apply, though. The other drawback is that SVN doesn't have any Mac GUI, whereas CVS does. But I think you don't mind fiddling with the Terminal...

OTOH, the SVN approach is much more flexible, I like their approach of atomic commits, and it's sooo easy to add/remove/move files and folders.