Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

CodeWarrior 9 question

Karl Ottenstein
Hi guys,

Well, I'm about to take the plunge into the Mac/OS X world in the next couple of weeks, buying a used system from a fellow ac-talker. Jumping into a new world of products and terminology, I feel safer double checking things before purchasing things.

Ed Brown wrote on September 20th that CodeWarrior 9 is required for creating AC 9 compatible add-ons.
http://Archicad-talk.Graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=21264#21264
The API "System Requirements" specify CodeWarrior Pro 9. Unlike Visual Studio, I see that there are lots of versions of CodeWarrior, primarily offering different combinations of targets. I don't see a "Pro" version.

So, is" CodeWarrior Dev Studio for macOS, OS X target version 9.0" all I really need, as listed on this web site:
http://www.programmersparadise.com/Product.pasp?txtCatalog=Paradise&txtCategory=&txtProductID=M24+04...

Any other advice to a newbie to Mac development appreciated...e.g., any little utilities that are 'must haves', etc.

Thanks!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
16 REPLIES 16
stefan
Expert
Would this version also work?

http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Develop/Desktop/Windows/Learning/Default.htm

$59 only 😉 (and I'm an academic user)
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
stefan wrote:
Would this version also work?
I couldn't figure out from the website; you'll have to ask them whether they support CFM compilation on Mac OS X. (I think they only support Mach-O.)

BR,

Akos
stefan
Expert
The reply from someone at CodeWarrior:
Hello Stefan,

I can give you the details from the CodeWarrior side but you may need to get a little more clarification from Graphisoft.

CW Learning Edition does support CFM/Carbon development, so if that is all that is required you should be o.k. using it. However, LE4 is based upon CodeWarrior version 8. So if there was something specific that Graphisoft requires that was introduced in CW v9 then it wouldn't work.

So you may want to check with them and see if it is just the case that they tested with v9 and that is why they recommend it or whether there is a specific reason that they list version 9.

There is an academic version of CW 9 if needed. I believe it runs about $119.00 USD. Though it does provide a full version of CW 9 where LE4 is a restricted version.

And you may want to check on that as well. LE 4 will only output executables/applications. So if you are wanting to output Libraries, Code Resources or Plugins then you would need CW 9 Academic. Also, LE4 will only allow 32 files per project so if the SDK uses more there would be a problem.

So on second look, chances are that you will need CW v9 Academic.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Jonathan
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Stefan,

In this case go for the Academic version of CW 9. Add-ons are CFM shared libraries, and they should be compiled with CW 9 (as all of ArchiCAD is).

HTH,

Akos
Oleg
Expert
One more question about CodeWarrior.
What states the CW EULA about license transfer.
I wonder is there a variant to buy used cheaper but licensed copy on eBay.
Karl Ottenstein
Oleg wrote:
One more question about CodeWarrior.
What states the CW EULA about license transfer.
The professional (non-academic) EULA says that you can transfer the license if you transfer the original media and documentation and the other party agrees to the license terms. Did you mean the academic version, Oleg?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Oleg
Expert
Karl wrote:
The professional (non-academic) EULA says that you can transfer the license if you transfer the original media and documentation and the other party agrees to the license terms. Did you mean the academic version, Oleg? Karl
Thank you Karl.
It seems it is possible. I shall consider it and contact to Metrowerks for finding-out of transfer details if I shall decide to buy the compiler ever.
PS: I meant the full version (non-academic).